SOLVED Preview Build 18875

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
April 10, 2019 10:02 am
Time marches on....

Capture1.PNG

Hello Windows Insiders, today we are moving the Fast ring forward to 20H1 and merging the small group of Insiders who opted-in to Skip Ahead back into the Fast ring with the release of Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20H1 Build 18875. That means Insiders in the Fast ring and those who opted-in to Skip Ahead will receive the same builds going forward.
SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ider-preview-build-18875/#dBjhmcrkrFvm8udD.97

Last edited:
Reaction score
Considering that build is supposed to be a year and a half more improved than the build I currently have, I am not impressed. Actually, I might even say disappointed in its progress.

I wonder if there will be some insiders who will choose to leave the program...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wonder if there will be some insiders who will choose to leave the program
IDK.... I've thought about it more than once but generally it keeps me entertained and gives me something to complain about.
It's definitely true however that there is very little recently that impacts the casual everyday user, of which I am one.

Reaction score
Having the nasty mind and thoughts such as mine, I am inclined to think that the whole insider program was, from the start, some kind of confidence trick to make the public feel they were part of the so-called "development". All the items, so far mentioned in successive insider updates, could easily have been incorporated into the existing, initial Windows 10, as Normal "Tuesday" updates.
My own observation is that, with regard to my initial statement, Windows has come to the end of the line as far as the OS is concerned. It can only be, now, added to with utilities (but which ones?)
I have, over the past couple of years, only been a casual visitor to the Insider site, bu I can read, from the voluminous feedback, That it, alone was largely falling on deaf ears - admittedly, most of it being so repetitious and, in many cases, pointless.
Sorry, my opinion only.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Should 18875 (20H1) not be 2003 instead of 1903??

just saying...
That's correct, but.....
It usually takes a while before they stamp it with a new "Version" Number.
They generally are building upon the previous version so the underlying version remains the same as the "build" numbers change.
I'm not sure if there is a policy or protocol for the new version number but it's generally later on in the development

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
18875 just arrived on my Insider machine with the same error.... Now for the third time.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
18875 just arrived on my Insider machine with the same error.... Now for the third time.....
There does seem to be a workaround for this. The folks over at the Microsoft Insiders site are talking about disabling Windows Search. But if you want to see if Microsoft comes out with a fix, I suppose you would not want to use the workaround.

Reaction score
First the search, then something else.... At the end one has to disable Windows to get it to update [/sarcasm off].
I can hold off of it for some time, I really do not need it. Maybe its best to disable Windows update alltogether?? I mean, MS is working really hard to make everything worse. :mad::mad:o_Oo_O

Found a possible work around in the feedback hub:

"Disable Windows Search, Windows Update & BITS services. Delete the contents of Windows\SoftwareDistribution, restart and enable BITS & Windows Update services, make sure Windows Search still disabled and start Check for update in settings Windows Update."

disabling just the Windows search did not work...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, the work around worked. It is important though to delete everything in the "SoftwareDistribution" folder which can take some time.
I tried it first just deleting the "download" folder. Although it went much further than before, it did not finish showing the same error code.

Reaction score
It looks like MS are having immense problems with their ambition to make Windows 10 backward compatible. These constant complaints certainly indicate a weakness in their attempts at hardware incompatibilities.
Installed for me, without any hacks, on an old Vostro and on my dedicated insider Dell E5570)

Reaction score
A "Check for updates" is no longer finding it so I'd presume Microsoft has pulled it down.

Reaction score
A "Check for updates" is no longer finding it so I'd presume Microsoft has pulled it down.
There is supposed to be a CU out for 18362 which will allow for updating to 18875. Same link as Trouble posted earlier..

Reaction score
amazing. Just opened my old insider dedicated laptop, and it immediately began updating. I now see this, no watermark either:

fwiw.I am on slow.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... discussed here
Which is the ongoing May 2019 (formerly known has 19H1) build which should be out soon.
This thread is aimed more at the builds for the future 20H1 builds which was formerly the "Skip Ahead" offering but now they are saying that "Fast Ring" machines will be receiving it also.

Reaction score
I know this shows as Solved but thought to add today's experience. I've not been able to get Build 18875.1000 for several days on an IP machine [OptiPlex 755] with Build 18362.53. But I tried on my IP machine [Inspiron 530S] with Build 18362.1 and just 30 minutes ago got Build 18875.1000, seems to have installed just fine. Next experiment is to remove .53 from the OptiPlex and try again.

Ask a Question