SOLVED May 2019 Update

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not familiar with the name
Releasing the May 2019 Update to the Release Preview ring
But.... this might be as official as it gets.
Check your Windows Insider Program settings
With the Windows 10 May 2019 Update being rolled out to the Release Preview ring today, we’re planning to move Windows Insiders in the Fast ring forward to 20H1. We will also be merging the small group of Insiders who opted-in to Skip Ahead back into the Fast ring.
The fact that fast ring is being moved to 20H1 bits with no mention of 19H2 is a mystery to me.

SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...-may-2019-update-to-the-release-preview-ring/

Reaction score
The fact that fast ring is being moved to 20H1 bits with no mention of 19H2 is a mystery to me.
It would make sense if they were to move build releases to only one time a year...

Or, maybe the distribution of testers in the rings needs to be equalized. We have no way of knowing if one ring was the most responsible for catching problems. The slow ring folks probably run software and install new builds closer to what the public does.

Does the 10 May date indicate an official announcement for public release date?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It would make sense if they were to move build releases to only one time a year
It would make more sense if they hadn't consistently mentioned 19H2 multiple times over the past few months.

I've switched my fast ring to SLOW
AND
Since they say they are going to revert Skip Ahead folks back to Fast Ring (20H1)
I'll keep an eye on the Release Preview machine to see what happens there.
Does the 10 May date indicate an official announcement for public release date?
As I mentioned above
this might be as official as it gets.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK just finished catching up and this

Capture.PNG

Moved my Release Preview Ring machine from 1809 -> 17763.404

Capture1.PNG

Up to 1903 -> 18362.30

Capture2.PNG

Which I suspect might actually be the release build with maybe a number or two changes after the dot
Likely made by cumulative updates over the next week or two.

Reaction score
I have also been updated (slow ring) For curiosity - I seem to have a huge reduction of available options in the menu right click - Anyone else?

Reaction score
How stable is 1903 so far? Thinking of updating my backup PC this weekend

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Honestly I haven't had any issues with any of the recent builds.
BUT....
There are some issues which may involve certain hardware configurations as well as some third party software products which some folks have and continue to encounter.

I'd stick with the SLOW or Release Preview ring, as they've already stated that FAST Ring folks will soon be moving to 20H1 builds.
AND
I'd image my current install just to stay on the safe side.

A NOTE... probably worth reading.
Windows 10 May 2019 Update rollout approach

The May 2019 Update will start to be available next week in Release Preview. We will rollout the production-quality Release Preview in phases for early adopters through the Windows Insider Program. Users already taking part in the Release Preview will receive monthly updates via normal channels.

In late May, we will begin availability for those users on a currently supported version of Windows 10 who seek to update via “Download and install now” (limited to devices with no known compatibility issues). We will also begin the phased rollout using our ML model to intelligently target those devices running Windows 10, version 1803 or prior versions that our data and feedback predict will have the best update experience. We will proactively monitor all available feedback and update experience data, making the appropriate product updates when we detect issues, and adjusting the rate of rollout as needed to ensure all devices have the best possible update experience.
SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...quality-and-transparency/#gtel2vOhR4u8KxtA.97

BY the way.....
This product just got another cumulative update today which bumped the build from 18362.30 to 18362.53
SOURCE: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4495666/windows-10-update-kb4495666

Last edited:
Reaction score
17763 is now .437 after a public CU today. It is funny, the systems I had delayed the Feature updates were not getting the CUs..

So much for your May 10th Official announcement .... It was nice being able to prepare for the release, now we are back to "it did what!!" ;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Been watching various media resources to see if anyone is sorting this out better than I can.
I noticed over on Twitter that someone posted a query as to the availability of a possible ISO for the "May 2019 Update".
Dona's reply suggested that the ISO would be available in a "few weeks" through the media creation tool.
"Few" is a bit vague but might suggest Mid-May, and....
One might infer that 18362.xx (dot 30 or higher) is the real deal.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I suppose it isn't that important but it would be nice to have an exact date to expect the release. It would also be nice for the "Seekers" to be able to download and install when they wanted.

If my guess regarding them switching to a once a year build release is true, I wonder if any other changes would follow on to such a change in procedure. o_O $

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You are absolutely crushing my hopes of actually seeing 19H2 bits.
Leaves me wondering why the "1" in 19H1 if there was never going to be a 19Hx

With Fast Ring joining Skip Ahead at the 20H1 trough ,,,,,
I don't know if that will leave Slow Ring to sort out 19H2 or if everyone will just be moving on to the 20H1 bits.

IF they never intended a 19H2 product then I wonder why they even bother mentioning it
Hello Windows Insiders, today we are releasing 20H1 Build 18860 to Windows Insiders who have opted into Skip Ahead. Remember – these builds are from the 20H1 development branch. Some things we are working on in 20H1 require a longer lead time. We will begin releasing 19H2 bits to Insiders later this spring after we get 19H1 nearly finished and ready; once 19H1 is “nearly finished and ready” we’ll also use the Release Preview ring for previews of drivers and quality updates on 19H1.
SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ider-preview-build-18860/#13u5T1zscl0r3V3q.97
AND
Over at the "Flight Hub" they are still proudly displaying
Capture.PNG

SOURCE: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/flight-hub/

Last edited:

Ask a Question