SOLVED Preview Build 18885

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
April 26, 2019 10:03 am
Hello Windows Insiders, today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18885 (20H1) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring
SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ider-preview-build-18885/#lRXrTLdbCq6MCPZt.97

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep... the more things change, the more they seem to remain the same.
I remember early on, some of the predictions / rumors of how they were going to roll the Control Panel into Windows settings.
How snip and sketch was going to replace the snipping tool
How MS Paint was going to Go Away, replaced by Paint 3D.

Instead we just get more lipstick on the pig. Plus new Emojis.
Before this devolves into a full blown "why do I even bother" rant, I find myself asking.....
Is this all there is and all that will ever be? Has Microsoft left the business of creating new and better Operating Systems and just become another program developer?
IF Windows 10 is truly "the last version of Windows" I'm not overly impressed.
It was great for mid 2015, but it's almost 2020.
Where do you think we'll be in another 5 years? How many emojis, paint programs and snipping tools does one OS really need.

OK mini-rant over.

Reaction score
I have an incurable disease called Updateitis. I update everything which in most cases improves; however this seems to not work for insider builds and just wastes hundreds of hours of my time in 2019. I was able to install 18342.8 ok after 3 attempts and get along fine with it. Nothing else works. I guess removing Edge was a no-no and may be the cause for all of my recent update attempts. I have a hardware issue that prevents reinstalling windows but does not affect normal use. My old I7-3770K processor with a great Noctua cooler locks up as soon as I install the October release. I hope Microsoft releases a new iso so I can do a complete install with my computer underclocked and undervolted. I am reluctant to try delidding the processor and the replacement cost is prohibitive.

Reaction score
"I have an incurable disease called Updateitis"
Me too. It almost comes under the heading of cbh. As only one example. I have updated Office, over the last decade, so many times, and still find itmore convenient, , in most cases, to pen something quickly in Wordpad

Reaction score
Happy Happy. Download installed fine after I repaired Edge. Works fine so far. First success since 18342.8

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I guess removing Edge was a no-no
Another great example.
What Operating System needs a browser, so intertwined with its' code that it's apparently impossible to remove completely without wrecking the OS (Internet Explorer AND Edge).... So, we get two??
AND
Now they are moving Edge to Open Source chromium based.

Evidently, Microsoft doesn't subscribe to the old axiom ("There's no education in the second kick of a mule") <Sam Rayburn>
Instead, when we open Internet Explorer, we get an auto second tab opening

Capture.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Please, Trouble. Pigs are known to be intelligent.
I would never question the intelligence of anyone or anything.
My "Lipstick on a pig" comment, was simply to point out how....
In some instances, efforts to make something more attractive, might fall short.

Reaction score
I would never question the intelligence of anyone or anything.
My "Lipstick on a pig" comment, was simply to point out how....
In some instances, efforts to make something more attractive, might fall short.

The best looking aircraft, either on the ground or airborne, was called a “pig” namely F-111.
Potent too.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to know.
Learn something new every day.
A bit partial to the A10 warthog myself.
Ugly.... unless you need close air support.

Ask a Question