SOLVED Printer Server vs Workstiaton

Reaction score
I don't have a problem, just a question that stems from another post about print servers.

When people post about problems with print servers OR just about print servers in general, do their comments apply to a home network or even a single computer with a wireless connection to the printer.

What does print server do that my home computer/prinet doesn't do.

Reaction score
Print Server [not to be confused with Print Spooler in Windows] is usually an interface allowing various computers access to the actual printer. There could be a number of reasons for using one such as several computers on a Network wanting to use the same printer, one would be it helps to manage print jobs and avoiding the pages becoming intermixed with other print jobs from other users. Another reason of several years ago was to allow printers that couldn't be run directly from a computer.

A 'spare' computer can be set up on a Network as a File and Print Server for the same reasons/uses.

As for a need at home, I use 2 printers, HP Laserjet and HP Officejet, which are physically connected to my Wireless Router via Ethernet cable. Any computer I install the software on, either Wired or Wireless/Wi-Fi, can use either printer as needs dictate. For larger jobs not needing color, the Laserjet is cheaper in operating costs.

Reaction score
Thank you. I conclude from your response that I have absolutely no need for a "print server" and that I have the access I need to the printer.

I have an HPOfficeJet8710 (wireless) through my router. I have two desktops and a laptop from which I can access the printer. I also have a mobile hotspot but I don't know much about using it, I have never tried except when we first set it up. I suspect it to be another access to the printer but if not...no problem.

Reaction score
Sounds like your current setup should be fine, you are able to print from your computers as needed.

Reaction score
I do this by having my wireless capable printer NOT connected to the router. I have the printer as a separate wireless entity on the network. Also I run Bonjour on my PC as that is on from dawn to bedtime.

The printer is available to the computers, Ipads and Iphones without any fiddling about.

Reaction score
I do this by having my wireless capable printer NOT connected to the router. I have the printer as a separate wireless entity on the network. Also I run Bonjour on my PC as that is on from dawn to bedtime.

The printer is available to the computers, Ipads and Iphones without any fiddling about.

I gotta think on this for awhile. I may or may not be connected the way you are. I say that because I used a pass code to attach the printer to the touter but I don't recall doing the same for the computers (laptop and 2 desk tops).

They all have native wireless capability. Duh!

Reaction score
I attach the printer to the router by setting the printer to the right SSID and using DHCP to get an IP address on my network. I enter the secure network password on the printer and then the printer will just stay connected as a passive device. Most modern printers contain a simple web server so once this is done you can log on to the printer to check ink etc. I do this and then I can print out the printers configuration page for reference. Connecting the printer will allow it to get firmware updates as well from the manufacturer.

On the PC's, all windows 10 here they will find the printer(s) and usually be able to use them immediately. For Canon and HP Windows will find the scan capability as well. For all the fancy features of the printer one can load the manufacturers printer software. The Windows store has simple drivers as well.

You say you don't remember entering a pass code for the computers to the router? Did you use the WPS method that just requires a button press on the router? You could do that with the printer but I prefer entering the long passphrase by hand.

Reaction score
You have provided good information. I am just a bit slow digesting it. I do recall that I did not use the button on the router; I entered a passphrase )two or three times to get it right).

Is there something I can do with one of the computers to ascertain how it connected. I know that I did not enter individual IPs and I know that each item (computer, printer and router) have separate IPs.

Reaction score
Right click on the start button. -> Windows powershell -> IPconfig /all will tell you more than you want to know about the connections. Or goto settings Network and Internet then click on Wifi and scroll down. The connection settings at at the bottom. Or on the Network and Internet status page click on Network and sharing centre Then click on your connection on the right hand side and then click the details box.

You did not enter individual IPs because the router uses DHCP and did all that for you.

DHCP Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol allocates IP addresses and gives you DNS and gateway IP addresses

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes, morte information tham I know how to use. Just enough to get into trouble. Years ago I was led into regedit. Once there I got a lesson I'll not forget. Curiosity can get you into deep troubles.

Reaction score
Dusty. You really have to get into the habit of backing up/making images.
I consider myself quite familiar with altering items in the registry, although seldom have I found it necessary. Evenso, I would never alter anything in there without first exporting the registry to an outside source, in the event that I might have a (very easy for me) typing error.

Reaction score
I agree with Dave. a) don't change the registry b) don't use regedit except with a program or script from a known source. c) don't change the registry.

Back up the whole system using a reliable backup system. Macrium reflect is good. There are others as good or better. Macrium has a free version.

IN the last 11 years I have run one script to change the registry. A one line script that turned off Caps-Lock on my keyboard. MS used to often a course on the registry IIRC it was 3 days and came with a thick textbook.

Reaction score
Here, Dusty

upload_2018-12-7_11-36-38.png

Reaction score
I have committed one of my own complaints - off thread.

But, Dusty. if you are not familiar with imag backups, go and download Eusus todo. One of the easiest ones to use I have encountered.
https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/

and, whenever you feel the urge to make a major alteration/experiment, to your computer, make an image on an external device. Takes about +/- 6 to 10 minutes and ditto to recover it.

Reaction score
I am not now but am in the process of becoming familiar with image backups. Since joining this forum, I have created a system image and have it on an external HD. I just now created a restore point BUT in the process of doing so I noticed a note about protection on/off. Should it be on/off for what I am attempting to backup.

PS: This is going to create more questions than answers. I gotta hit the books.

Thanks again to all who have responded. I would not be doing this but for your assistance and guidance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Entirely your choice, . If you are concerned regarding someone getting hold of your backup then protect it.

Reaction score
Entirely your choice, . If you are concerned regarding someone getting hold of your backup then protect it.

Dave: Security is really "no longer" an issue. These computers no longer handle or even have access to financial or personal data. I have my shop financials there but if someone wants to know how much I spend on lumber they can go to the lumber yard and ask.

Why do I need backups. Because I now have time to "tinker" and when I do I often get myself into trouble. Spending two or three days rebuilding the system is no longer intriguing. Learning new ways to employ or manage the system is.

Reaction score
I am not now but am in the process of becoming familiar with image backups. Since joining this forum, I have created a system image and have it on an external HD. I just now created a restore point BUT in the process of doing so I noticed a note about protection on/off. Should it be on/off for what I am attempting to backup.

PS: This is going to create more questions than answers. I gotta hit the books.

Thanks again to all who have responded. I would not be doing this but for your assistance and guidance.

I am off thread, I know. But as I said, it is easy for me to get myself into trouble. After attempting to familiarize myself with Macrium, when I chose to do an image I get the following: Reflect is busy. A backup or restore operation is currently running.

There are no tasks running in task manager and I got a backup complete notification successfully from Macrium.

If I don't resolve this I'll open a new thread to get back on topis.

Ask a Question