Problem with IE11 in Win10

Reaction score
Have a HP 650 Laptop running Win1064bit Home OS.
I recently set IE11 as my Default Browser. Since then, every time IE opens, a Popup appears with Internet Explorer highlighted as the Browser to open. At the bottom of this Browser is a Checkbox and the OK Button. I check tick the Checkbox and press OK, believing I will not see this Popup again. Low and Behold when IE opens again, there is the same Popup, with the Checkbox Unchecked. It does not remember having the Checkbox Ticked previously. Being as this is a Business Computer and I have to use IE a lot, this is a most annoying event to me. I do not like Edge as it has a heap of stuff that is just a nuisance to me. It is not easy in Win 10 to make Firefox the Default Browser.
It is as though Microsoft is trying to force us to use Edge by making the use of other Browsers rather difficult to access.
This along with a number of other issues with Win 10, cause me to prefer Win 7 over win 10, for Business use.
Can anyone assist with this nasty feature.

Reaction score
I don't use IE but I have had no problem making Edge,Chrome or Firefox the default browser.

For Edge I go to settings -> system-> default apps -> Web browser and select Edge.
For IE the same selecting IE

For Firefox I open Firefox and immediately see a message saying Firefox is not the default browser. So I set it and it becomes the default.

Chrome I open Chrome, Click on the hamburger at the right, select settings and at the bottom of the page one can select Chrome as default. This also opens the settings in Windows as above and it does no harm to select Chrome there as well.

Far too complicated imho the system setting in Windows should just do this and display the default.

Last edited:

Ask a Question