kgm

Reaction score
Very old newbie, guide me please.

I would like to just bootup straight to my home screen
No "Remove Disks or other media" etc. message
No Picture "Like what you see" etc,.
No password required.
Be able to wake from sleep with Mouse or Keyboard

Repeatedly tried to achieve above, no success. Windows seems to ignore my confirmed options.

Sorry if I am in the wrong ball park, but help appreciated

kgm

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
You need to use "netplwiz" .... this will take you to your start screen (what ever you have setup). Follow these instructions....
https://windowsinstructed.com/how-to-skip-login-screen-in-windows-10/

For wake from sleep mode....you need to make sure that those devices (keyboard/mouse) are enabled to wake up PC from sleep. You do that in device manager, under each device, then select power management tab and make sure the box to wake is checked/ticked.

Then you need to make sure that "required a password" from wake is turned off. Since the AU update....that stuff has changed....there's a tab to select "Never" and a restart may be required. Go to all settings, accounts, sign in options and you'll see the tab.

Reaction score
On some motherboards you might have to enable the BIOS to allow mouse and/or keyboard to wake the machine from power off state if you want to do that.

kgm

Reaction score
You need to use "netplwiz" .... this will take you to your start screen (what ever you have setup). Follow these instructions....
https://windowsinstructed.com/how-to-skip-login-screen-in-windows-10/

For wake from sleep mode....you need to make sure that those devices (keyboard/mouse) are enabled to wake up PC from sleep. You do that in device manager, under each device, then select power management tab and make sure the box to wake is checked/ticked.

Then you need to make sure that "required a password" from wake is turned off. Since the AU update....that stuff has changed....there's a tab to select "Never" and a restart may be required. Go to all settings, accounts, sign in options and you'll see the tab.

Thanks for prompt reply
I got a bit lost in the forum when trying to reply promptly.
After following your advice some of the results occured, but erratically, so I am waiting a while for final further results , and will go over all instructions again.
Hope to report fully later, but a near 90 year old can be slow at times so bear with me!
Again thanks!

kgm

kgm

Reaction score
OK!
With your help start from sleep and shutdown is now without password requirement.
Still the ubiquitous "Remove disks or other media - Press any key to start" appears at start up.
I have no inserted media.

Is there a way to remove the message. ?
Thanks again

kgm

Reaction score
That 'remove...' message usually appear when there is a none bootable cd/dvd in the drive and the BIOS is set to have the DVD as the first priority boot device. I think it could appear if USB is set as the highest priority and there is a USB stick*** in a USB drive but I have never personally seen that.

*** that would only happen if the USB is formatted as a drive...wouldn't happen with wifi dongles and similar things.

Ask a Question