Hibernate & Quick Startup not showing

Reaction score
Going into Power Options / Choose what the Power Buttons do / Change settings that are currently unavailable, there is only two options. One being Sleep & the other being Lock.
The Hibernate & Quick Startup is not showing. Any way I can get these back?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can try to enable both from an Admin Command prompt.... type
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 1 /F (to enable fast boot)
Then type
powercfg /hibernate on (to enable hibernate)
Reboot the system and check.
IF that doesn't do it then you might want to double check your system BIOS to see if you have some configuration settings in there that might be causing the issue.

Reaction score
This will seem a bit dunced but how would one add that in the Registry manually? If I'm following this correctly, then something went haywire IN the Registry. Would that be right?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's right there in the script 1 is enabled 0 is disabled.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Thank you. I see HiberbootEnabled (1). Now that I know where to put it, how do I put it. Do I right click on HiberbootEnabled, click on Modify and type in /T REG_dWORD /D 1 /F exactly the way I've shown it here?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you already have HiberBootEnabled with a value of "1" then you already have it enabled and there is not need to modify it at all.

For future reference you just double click the data in the right pane or right click it and choose "modify" and change the value that appears in the box from "zero" to "one" or from "one" to "zero" depending on whether you want it enabled of disabled.

Reaction score
This is going from weird to weird and wonderful. This morning, when i turned on the laptop, it didn't ask me to put in my pin. I also noticed in the Power Settings & under "Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable" there is no "require password in startup." Any idea as to what is going on here and how I can restore it again?

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I did. I see only two things under "Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable" which is Sleep & I have a check mark in that. Also, there is Lock and there was a check mark in that, so i unchecked that. Upon rebooting, the system is now asking me for my Pin number which is good.
But there is still no Hibernate nor is there a Require a Password upon Startup that is showing. Any idea as to how I can get those to show again?

Reaction score
I shall keep on asking the questions and suddenly & without warning, will give the answers. Well, that is up to this point. I enabled the Hibernate with the powercfg.exe /hibernate on in the Command Prompt. So everything is showing now what was once thought lost.
But as to the problem with the Laptop hanging when put to sleep manually or automatically or completely shutting down, this I don't have a clue as how to overcome.
This again is where I'll beg your help.

Reaction score
I've got to say, this forum is a bit disappointing as to the amount of replies given to my thread and looking at other question, to theirs also. It does make one wonder what's happened on here. The amount of knowledgeable helps on here seems to be narrowed down to about one. Very good indeed!

Reaction score
Hi Lawrence,

have you also tried "Additional power settings" as well as those in Settings > System > Power & sleep?:

power and sleep.jpg

People live in different time zones around the world and you may have to wait for people to be online when they have the time, here it is currently 7:20 AM in Central Europe. :):):)

Reaction score
Yep! Been there Wolfe and done those also. Certainly you have heard about issues like this before but have you heard it was a Windows update problem? By the way, thank you for your reply and suggestion.

Reaction score
A quick and nasty way (not so quick really) is to run "Reset this PC", it will give you the option to keep files and folders (but possibly not all your apps). It may well solve the problem you are having?.

Back-up all your personal files before you start on a USB drive or other storage medium.

reset this pc.jpg

You might have a different window?:

reset options.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you again for your suggestion Wolfe. What I did was, I removed the Shortcut I had for putting the unit to sleep. I noticed yesterday but only yesterday, that seemed to be giving me the grief. I would click on that and it would either hang the computer or shut it down completely.
I also put the Hibernate & Fast Startup back and removed the check mark out of Lock. I realize that doesn't really make that much sense, but since yesterday afternoon,this rig hasn't failed. But I'm not totally convinced this exciting problem has fled altogether. It's no doubt like a Sleeper Cell, waiting to attack again. Against all odds, I hope I'm wrong.
Have you come across this before and if so, how was it overcome?

Reaction score
Hi Lawrence,

I cannot really comment on hibernate or sleep as I don't use either, I always have all power saving controls set to off and use maximum performance, when I am not on my PC, I shut it down and throw the power switch to the adapter!. :):):)

Reaction score
Wolfe, this is weird. As said earlier, I removed my Shortcut, put the Power Button back to Sleep instead of Shut down. As of today, there is no problems. But I should say, not yet.
Hit the Power Button, the unit goes into sleep immediately & wakes up no problem. Goes to sleep & no problem.
I've always used Sleep & Hibernate a long ways back. I suppose I really could just shut it down cause it boots up so fast, it nearly throws the lid open. (SSD)
But what I've done should really have not cured anything in my thinking. I've got the Fire Extinguisher close by just perchance this thing decides to burst into a ball of flame.
If & when it goes on the blink again, I'll post it here. Thank you for your kind reply.

Reaction score
I shall do that Wolfe. As of Tuesday, everything has been proceeding as though normal. Not a hiccup nor a violent sneeze. It almost does sound as you say, like a software glitch. This little tyke is going to have its fifth birthday come next month,and though I don't move it off the desk, I know anytime soon I could see a plume of smoke emitting up from between the keys on the keyboard. Thank you for the feedback!

Reaction score
Hi Lawrence,

keep a fire extinguisher handy for that just in case scenario LOL. :):):):)

Ask a Question