RAM issues

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm facing a problem for a while now, my RAM use is always above 65% - 70% even when no programs are running. I've performed a MBAM scan, nothing was found. I also tried to use : mdsched.exe , nothing was found neither. Do you have any idea why this issue occur and what should I do to fix it?
Thanks

Reaction score
have you checked the task manager on what is causing the usage of RAM??

Reaction score
Also check your startup programs in task manager, and see if you have unnecessary programs loading on boot. How much ram do you have?

Reaction score
@Grizzly as I said, even when no programs are running, the issue is still there. So if I add up all memory usage from background programs, it does not make the count.

@BigFeet : Except for the Intel and Dell utility stuff, there is only one thing I don't know : MSASCuiL. And I have 8Gb.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, didn't see your messages! And thanks for your time :)

Reaction score
Might also RUN msconfig and dxdiag, see if there's any clue in them. This Notebook I'm on now has 8GB and showing 47% in use with Firefox and File Explorer open.

Reaction score
What should I look for when running those commands? I did dxdiag, I didn't spot anything obvious (to me at least, but I'm no expert)

Reaction score
It's just that when seeing issues that may be related to memory there's more than one place to look to get a better glimpse as to what is being done. I've never been concerned about how much RAM is being used by Windows, will use as much as it needs. My concern starts when getting messages that there is not enough RAM, first experience was in '92 with MS-DOS 5 having Windows 3.1 running on 4MB RAM, had WordPerfect for Windows 5.1 and running out of memory when typing more than 8 pages so first upgrade was to 8MB RAM.

Reaction score
Well, I had such a message a few days ago, when attempting to run Read Dead Redemption 2 (while it's been working just fine up to that moment), that's when I started to investigate to find the problem. I've tried to run the game later, and it worked just fine...
Not sure if my message helps ^^

Reaction score
Such messages can occur when having 2 or more memory-intensive program open at the same time. RAM is volatile, holds data as long as there's power to it. Shutting down/rebooting clears the data out giving a fresh start. If not able to upgrade the amount of installed RAM it usually helps in such cases to set the Virtual Memory [paging file] to a larger number such as 2.5 times the physical RAM.

Reaction score
I'm almost sure that nothing else than RDR2 was running at that time (nothing that could use a lot of RAM at least).
Well, adding physically more RAM will probably happen in the future (when my bank account will allow it), but I might be interested in increasing the virtual memory for now. Two questions however :
-Is there any downside of doing so?
-How do I do that? EDIT : Nevermind, I googled it, found the answer!!

The already seems pretty high though..

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've not found a downside except maybe for insufficient drive space. Virtual Memory or Paging file [swap file in earlier Windows] is stored on the hard drive [generic for either HDD or SSD] and when necessary Windows will swap older data out rather than closing a program.
1619449184633.png

Reaction score
Okay, so I've looked into it.
The setting I've found is above the recommended value (24575 vs 1900).
The thing is, I have 2 hard drives (1 HDD and 1 SSD), so if I manually change this value, should I do it for both drives? Because when I did it for the HDD, I had a message telling that pagefile.sys already exists, and I don't want to mess anything up so I didn't validate.

Reaction score
Okay, so I've looked into it.
The setting I've found is above the recommended value (24575 vs 1900).
The thing is, I have 2 hard drives (1 HDD and 1 SSD), so if I manually change this value, should I do it for both drives? Because when I did it for the HDD, I had a message telling that pagefile.sys already exists, and I don't want to mess anything up so I didn't validate.
You only need to set those values on the drive that contains the pagefile, which would be on the boot drive (unless you moved it).

MSASCuiL is the icon in the system tray that shows the Windows Defender icon. That's fine to run and uses minimal ram.

Reaction score
You only need to set those values on the drive that contains the pagefile, which would be on the boot drive (unless you moved it).

MSASCuiL is the icon in the system tray that shows the Windows Defender icon. That's fine to run and uses minimal ram.
Not always... especially when Windows defender is running in the Background, either scanning or updating, it can take up to one GB of RAM (and I have only 3,4GB of 4GB available due to my Stone Age chipset). This, however, should not effect his PC in that way.

BTW: msconfig redirects to the task manager and the Startup page...

this is what my taskmanager looks like as I type this:

2021-04-26_192035.jpg

Ask a Question