Changed taskbar icon switches back to original when program is opened.

Reaction score
I set ImageGlass (alternative to windows 'Photos') to use another icon. I used this simple method:

- in the start-menu, right click the program and go the it location.
- right click on the target file and edit the icon.

This works fine, when pinned to the taskbar and in the start menu. But when the program is opened, the icon in the taskbar switched back to the original icon.

How to keep the icon?

Reaction score
This might help your issue:

Windows maintains a cache database where it stores every icon image it displays. This saves time, but can also cause problems if/when the cache is corrupted or fails to update when a change has occurred.
Windows saves all the icon cache data locally on your computer. You can use File Explorer to locate these cache files and delete them manually. This will effectively force Windows to rebuild the icon cache from scratch.

Follow these steps to delete icon cache files on Windows10

1. Press Win + X or right-click on the Start icon to open the Power User menu - Select Run from the list.

2. Paste the following path in the Run dialog box and press Enter.

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

3. In the File Explorer window that opens, you will find a series of icon cache files named iconcache_16.db, iconcache_32.db, iconcache_48.db, and so on.

4. Select all the cache files and delete them.

5. Restart your system

It's important to note that some files will reappear shortly after you delete them as Windows attempts to rebuild the icon cache data. Additionally, a folder named IconCacheToDelete will appear in the same directory. It should go away automatically once you restart File Explorer or your computer.

I also increase my icon cache from 4 Mb, to 8Mb. If this interests you:

1. Go to run and type regedit and press Enter

2. When the registry editor opens navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

3. On the right, modify or, if absent, create a new string (REG_SZ) value: Max Cached Icons

Change the value from 4096 (4Mb) to 8192 (8Mb)

regedit.png

Ask a Question