SOLVED w10 restart resetting changed defaults and settings

Reaction score
I have posed this problem on the ms forum and also tenforums.com with no answers,

at first it happened after w10 updates but now it happens with every restart.

my personalized windows settings get changed back to ms defaults, when I restart, (like when the o/s is installed,) like default browser from chrome to edge, file open default programs like for jpg (which ms call photos), from the app of my choice back to the ms "photos" program (whatever that is), pdf from adobe to edge, resetting my 12+ task bar items to ms apps, the file location for my documents, etc

this suddenly started happening about 2 weeks ago
something corrupted in the registry?

I'm dreading the prospect of having to reinstall w10 from scratch and worried if I do that I will still be stuck with the same problem.

also the w10 recording feature using winkey+g stopped working, I checked all the game settings and they are set up

???????????? any ideas to fix greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Hi,

are you using the latest version of Win 10?, if not, try upgrading which may solve the problem?. :)

Reaction score
thanks for the reply,

from the command prompt:
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version: 10.0.19041 N/A Build 19041

from the settings app
version 2004
installed on 11/20/2020
os build 19041.867

evidently the 2004 is a may 2020 version

with all the mandatory ms updates, eg, update and shutdown, I would have thought
those would have provided the latest version but evidently not

when logging in with my alternate local user account, settings are retained ok
some one suggested I have a corrupted user account, so maybe that is the problem
maybe a major version update will fix that if whatever files are corrupted are somehow replaced but
I would hope an o/s update, even a major update, would not mess with account specific data either

to be continued
btw I saw the latest and greatest version is changing alt-tab to move between tabs on edge and not running
programs, that would be so lame, who uses edge anyway?

Reaction score
the upgrade does seem have worked, in fact It seems to have restored my settings, at least the items in the task bar, back a few weeks ago, perhaps the point where the problem began, thanks

Ask a Question