Windows Explorer in W10 pro

Reaction score
Hello.
Any alternative to Microsoft Windows Explorer/ I find it either crashes or freezes from time to time?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
There's a few free or paid for available.
Depending upon which computer I'm on will have FreeCommander, TotalCommander or MultiCommander available, my main computer has the paid-for TotalCommander. They all do some things different from File Explorer [renamed from Windows Explorer of earlier versions of Windows].

BUT, File Explorer is pretty much the core of Windows, if it doesn't work right Windows usually won't either. There's a lot of variables involved in preventing File Explorer from operating correctly, frequently could be third-party programs that have been installed, a virus or malware, etc.

Reaction score
Many thanks Bighorn. I take note of your comments.
The problem I find about tracking down which program may be effecting File Explorer is just that. Where do you start?

Reaction score
I'd first get Windows Defender/Microsoft Security fully updated or whatever program is being used and run a deep scan. If nothing is found I'd get into Safe Mode and see if the same issue occurs. If so it most likely is a problem with Windows and could do a Reset or in-place Upgrade to fix it. Another check would be to open a Command Prompt window as Administrator to run sfc /scannow to check the system files.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Problem occurred whilst using sfc /scannow and DISM.
faulty files (corrupt) found however, sfc could not repair or in the case of DISM, source file missing. Therefore, not able to repair same .
How do I get over (a) Not being able to replace and update via DISM. (b) repair via sfc?

Ask a Question