SOLVED W10 desktop icons gone, none of the usual works....

Reaction score
Hi all. :)

W10 laptop, boots fine, login fine, desktop is totally blank with no icons.
Mouse pointer can be moved around.
Right-click menu DOES NOT work, so I can't do the usual check for hidden desktop icons etc.
Windows shortcut keys such as WIN+R or WIN+I have no effect.
There is no "Start" menu.
There is no taskbar.
CTRL+ALT+DEL works, and I can call up the task manager from inside that, or reboot the system.

Hold SHIFT and click reboot, ask diagnosis to check system, found a few issues and fixed them successfully.
Reboot, but back to exactly the same issue.
Hold SHIFT and reboot again, this time go into system restore and restore last automatic restore point.
Reboot, but still no icons, no right-click menu, no 'Start' menu, no WINDOWS keys work.

Stumped. :(

Does anyone else have any ideas for things to try?
Most of the help on-line asks you to right-click the desktop and do things from there, but the right-click menu will NOT come up when I right-click.
Other help via Mr. Google says to open SETTINGS with WIN+I, but none of the WIN key shortcuts are working either.

I was somewhat surprised that the system restore did not work - I was expecting that rolling back to a restore point in January would have worked.....:confused:

Reaction score
So, no-one has any ideas then?
It is quite a bad one.... ;)

I might try a repair install from a W10 boot USB.

Ask a Question