SOLVED RE : Cortana. How to change Speech language ?

Reaction score
RE : Cortana is now available to Canada.
In order to setup Cortana, I need to set ..............
1. Country & Region ..............................Canada. That's done.
2. Windows Display language ............. English (Canada). That's done.
3. Speech language.................................. English (Canada). Can't be done. Clicking at the pointer has no response. It's greyed out.

cortana speech language.jpg

Reaction score
Well, I did do anything different, but about 5 minutes ago, I went back to check the Speech language section and I was able to click at the pointer and changed it to English (Canada).

No Cortana has arrived in Canada.

Reaction score
Since I can't correct the typo from above post, I have to post again. Sorry.

The last sentence I meant to write was .................... Now Cortana has arrived in Canada.

Reaction score
Same thing is happening to me. Cannot select "English (Canada)" as the speech language. I've been able to add UK and other country's "English" as a Speech option. Just not Canada's. Anybody else find a fix for this?

Reaction score
--SOLVED-- I was having this same problem- Living in Canada and my new computer (windows 10) came default with English (US) that wasnt recognized by Cortana, AND the languages in the "Speech" settings category wouldnt change.
What i had to do to solve the problem was go to [Settings>>Time & Language >>Region & Language >> Languages] and then clicked on the "add a language" Box.
From there i found English (Canada) and added it to the list along with English (US).
After that I had to click on the newly added language in the "country & Region" page. Then choose "Options" and install all of the downloads found within (typing, handwriting, speech, and language packs).
After these are both installed, remove the English(US) language from your system by clicking on it in the "country and region" settings, and click remove.
Then you can return to the speech settings screen, change the speech language from English (US) to English (Canada). This will allow Cortana to work properly!

Please "like" this post if it helps, if not please reply.

Last edited:
Reaction score
--SOLVED-- I was having this same problem- Living in Canada and my new computer (windows 10) came default with English (US) that wasnt recognized by Cortana, AND the languages in the "Speech" settings category wouldnt change.
What i had to do to solve the problem was go to [Settings>>Time & Language >>Region & Language >> Languages] and then clicked on the "add a language" Box.
From there i found English (Canada) and added it to the list along with English (US).
After that I had to click on the newly added language in the "country & Region" page. Then choose "Options" and install all of the downloads found within (typing, handwriting, speech, and language packs).
After these are both installed, remove the English(US) language from your system by clicking on it in the "country and region" settings, and click remove.
Then you can return to the speech settings screen, change the speech language from English (US) to English (Canada). This will allow Cortana to work properly!

I'm having the same problem and unfortunately I am unable to find a way to do the language downloads. I've added the English (Canada) language but when I click on it and then the option button below, it brings me to "Language Options" page with three sections - Handwriting Speech and Keyboards. The only item under speech is "settings" and when I click on that it brings me back to the main "speech" page which has English (United States) as the speech language and it's the only one available to select. I don't see a download option anywhere.

Can you describe exactly where the download option appears? Thanks.

Reaction score
The problem has been solved. I just received a major update - it appeared exactly like the initial Windows 10 install so perhaps it was reinstalled for some reason. I was then able to download the language pack for Canada and then the "English (Canada)" option was available on the speech page.

Reaction score

I found a number of things to try but this is the only one that worked ... Thanks JordanC!!

Ask a Question