RE : Insider Build 10576

Reaction score
I just found out there is no $Windows.~bt to be found and therefore no Install.esd.
So, I will have to wait for the ISO from Slow ring release before I can create a bootable DVD.

This is what I see.................

C drive.jpg

*** I have posted a thread in News forum announcing the release of build 10576. If the mod finds it necessary, please merge the 2 and I apologize for taking up 2 spots instead of one. ***

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am no longer subscribing to builds, since the rtm, but I recall the last one had the esd and win in the
"recoveryimage" folder.

Reaction score
Look at my screenshot.
There is no Recovery/Image folder. Not inside Windows.old, not inside anywhere.
Just the windows.old which I don't need. I am removing it with Ccleaner as I compose this reply.

Reaction score
Hmm. Curious. Just had a quick peek at another one of my laptops, registered under an alternative live address. It is still associated with the insider, and I see this. (Windows 10 pro)

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
one year old.
I have not seen Recovery/Image folder for a very long time.
They probably ditch that and use $Windows.~bt instead.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am familiar with Recovery/Image folder.
In fact, it was here that a member said Install.esd was inside Recovery/Image folder, and I replied back saying that I could only find Install.wim.

Reaction score
I don't know which conversion method you use, but the common one around the web will also use the wim to change to the ISO.

Reaction score
I am not talking about conversion .
I am saying there is not install. esd nor install.wim available.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Finally got around to my upgrade to 10576.
Checking out the contents of C:\ I find this

Capture.JPG

I will add that....
As is my practice, whenever I perform an upgrade, prior to said upgrade I physically remove any previous instance of the $WINDOWS~BT folder as well as any previous instance of a Windows.OLD folder.
I'm not sure that, that actually makes the difference, it has just always been my practice.

Reaction score
I am not talking about conversion .
I am saying there is not install. esd nor install.wim available.

Open Folder Options, View, check Show hidden files and folders, check Apply/OK.
Open C: drive, you will be able to find your install.esd inside $Windows.~WS hidden folder.

Ask a Question