SOLVED Real time protection setting.

Reaction score
I am certainly lost on this one, as a check on Windows 10 Virus + Threat settings, points out that the Real time setting protection is switched off pointing this in (yellow lettering), together with the Slider on?off grayed out. I am unable find a solution to this reference, or a procedure in how to correct. Has anybody come across this and managed to reinstall Real time setting.

Reaction score
Do you have a third party Antivirus installed (like McAfee,Norton,etc)?? If so , Windows Defender is turned off by default

Reaction score
I only have Defender and Malware bytes installed annd current. Thanks for your response.

Reaction score
Bigfeet, I have the paid version (for life).as it was bought 10 years ago. I believe the current paid version is annual renewal.

Reaction score
Wolfie, that is a good question, I have no idea. Computer was bought from HP in 2009 with Windows 7 Home installed and changed to Windows 10 Home under Microsoft special free offer, but only changed over two years ago. This has come up in my reading up on real time. Computer is appearing to be running correctly. As to why the Real time is grayed out that is my question.

Reaction score
Wolfie, that is a good question, I have no idea. Computer was bought from HP in 2009 with Windows 7 Home installed and changed to Windows 10 Home under Microsoft special free offer, but only changed over two years ago. This has come up in my reading up on real time. Computer is appearing to be running correctly. As to why the Real time is grayed out that is my question.
Hi Rab,

in "S Mode", you will find an awful lot of things "greyed out" as it is designed for schools and colleges and to stop pupils/students tampering with it!. (And general users too for some reason?).

Did you check what version you have per the link I posted above?. :) You can look in Settings > System > Info and it will tell you what version you have!. I doubt if you have an S Mode version if you upgraded from W7 though, but it might still be possible depending on what version of W7 you had?????. :eek:

Reaction score
As you say, your version of malwarebytes is a little old, and setup may have changed. But, normally by default, malwarebytes runs resident and would have turned off Defender. That was the reason for bigfeets query.

Reaction score
Yes, the paid version of Malwarebytes (according to what I read) will disable Defenders real time protection. You still should be able to run manual scans with it. But running two anti virus programs in real time can cause issues. That's why Defender disables itself if you install a 3rd party anti virus. The free version doesn't run in real time, so it doesn't disable Defender.

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

in "S Mode", you will find an awful lot of things "greyed out" as it is designed for schools and colleges and to stop pupils/students tampering with it!. (And general users too for some reason?).

Did you check what version you have per the link I posted above?. :) You can look in Settings > System > Info and it will tell you what version you have!. I doubt if you have an S Mode version if you upgraded from W7 though, but it might still be possible depending on what version of W7 you had?????. :eek:
I don't believe there's any scenario where an upgrade from any version of Windows 7 would yield an S version of 10.

Reaction score
I agree in what has been said that S mode is not installed in my computer as now checks carried out by me proves to be the case. Thank you all for interest show. Opening Stores, at top of screen caption reads you are not running in S mode. At least this has answered my question.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Rab,

you marked the thread as solved but I cannot determine from your posts what solved it?. :)

Reaction score
Hopefully the op will stay with us. However, I think the posts have explained why he cannot turn on Defender. The "S" mode was not, I think, part of the thread context.

Reaction score
It appears that S.mode has been stopped by Microsoft for sometime now and certainly it says on my computer that it is not available. I agree that writings posted .

Reaction score
I am certainly lost on this one, as a check on Windows 10 Virus + Threat settings, points out that the Real time setting protection is switched off pointing this in (yellow lettering), together with the Slider on?off grayed out. I am unable find a solution to this reference, or a procedure in how to correct. Has anybody come across this and managed to reinstall Real time setting.

Ask a Question