Folder size reported larger than it really is

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So this is strange. My Hard drive is 232 GB. When I look at the properties for my Music folder, it says it’s 6 TB! Imagine that! LOL When I open my Music folder and select all, then check properties it gives me the correct 57 GB answer. What the heck? Why is it telling me my Music folder is 6 TB? How is that possible?

sizes.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks to me like the folder containing your CTA music is indicating 57 GB by itself.
IS that all you have in your music folder?

Reaction score
Your post. Just an observation. It is not your music folder which is showing that huge figure, but your username folder?
Either way, it is something I haven't seen before?
Although it remains a bug, could it be long paths which are being duplicated?
Another thought, have you been cleaning up your username files/folders lately? I am wondering if it is mistakenly reading the recycle bin. You could, if not already, try emptying it.

Reaction score
Yeah it's got to be some strange bug, I just hope it's not the beginning of some bigger issue. I'm not sure what CTA is but yes, that's the size of my music folder 57 GBS that's it. In fact, all I did was copy that folder from one pc and pasted it into this one. It's doesn't read 6 TB on the PC it came from, but just the 57 GB Which is definitely the actual size. And no, it's not my username folder it's …. jacalyn/music. even if that were the case. My Hard drive is only 232 GB.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure what CTA is
Being from the Chicago area, I erroneously thought everyone knew that CTA stood for Chicago Transit Authority which is the labeled property header of your image showing 57 GB.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
OH I see! LOL, Yeah whatever folder you click on to get the properties, that will be the header. If I select all the folders in my music, then right click on one to get the properties the heading will be whatever that folder is. Which just happened to be Chicago's Album, Transit Authority.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It may be worth running CHKDSK to check to see if you have any file system errors. The easiest way to run a drive scan is to right click a drive in File Explorer, select Properties > Tools > Check.

Reaction score
I've seen such an issue now and then but seems to be a minor glitch. I use a third-party file manager that has more features that I sometimes need and it doesn't seem to have the problem.

Reaction score
Just curiosity.
I dont normally access the music - system folder. If you have it, what is the size of the:-
Windows 10 - users - Username - Documents - music

Ask a Question