Reboot Knocking-Out Printer

Reaction score
After a trouble-free automatic online upgrade to Ver. 1903 of Win. 10, programs would no longer recognise my USB connected new HP Desk Jet printer. It is still listed as the active default printer and communicates with Win 10 on that level. However, it isn't recognised by the print window from any Windows programs. After several root uninstalls & reinstalls, including emptying the Queue Printer folder, I can now simply run HP Smart, "Install New Printer" and within two minutes it recognises all existing hardware and software and completes the installation so everything works perfectly. The moment I reboot or restart the computer however, it knocks-out the printer and I have to run the HP Smart reinstall again.

I took over 15 screenshots of the Windows Printer properties and HP Printer properties tabs as well as all the other relevant settings in Settings/Devices/Printers and /Network and none of them changed from working to reboot and not working. Does anyone have an idea of what is happening here?

If not, as this is a direct result of the Ver. 1903 upgrade, is it possible to run the upgrade again hoping that it will correct whatever is happening that is creating this problem? Thanks so much for your advice. Dennis

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you check and confirm that your version of 1903 is in fact updated to the latest version?
Use "winver" (without the quotes) from the run command and see what it shows.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    19.4 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
It reads "Ver. 1903 (OS Build 18362.295)". So if your attachment is the latest build, than so is mine. Thanks for giving this your thoughts.
Dennis

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... thanks.
The moment I reboot or restart the computer however, it knocks-out the printer
Does it seem to make any difference if the USB attached printer is on or off during that operation?
Does disconnecting and reconnecting the printer at the USB port seem to change anything?
Likewise does alternating USB ports make any difference.

Do you have the full (latest) software driver package from HP installed for that printer
Have you tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor

Reaction score
I've tried both leaving it on and turning it off, as you normally would, during reboot and it makes no difference. Alternating USB ports doesn't make any difference as it was originally plugged into a USB junction box with the mouse and keyboard, both of which remain working fine. Just to make sure, I have connected the printer directly to a primary USB connector on the computer, but that makes no difference. Interestingly, whether it is connected to the junction box or directly to a separate USB computer socket, the Port location still reads "USB001 Virtual Printer Port for HP 2630 Printer" in Properties both for Windows and HP. The location doesn't change when I change the location to which I plug the USB line into the computer.

Yes, I have the latest recommended software and driver package, both full install and smart install loaded for the printer. I have also tried Print and Scan Doctor, as well as a Microsoft printer troubleshooting tool. Scan Doctor cannot locate the problem, and when it does an internal printer check, the printout is perfect. The Windows tool at Settings/Devices/Printers & Scanners/Run Troubleshooter gives a detailed summary of all the potential problem areas and everyone of them is OK on my printer setup. It can't find anything wrong.

Now, I'll disconnect the USB cable and reboot and see if I still lose the printer connection and get back to you. That is the only thing I haven't tried. Dennis

Reaction score
Continued ... I just turned off the printer and unplugged the USB cable connection at the printer. I then turned-off the computer and restarted it. I have lost the use of the printer again, so whether the USB cable is connected or not has no effect on the problem. Thanks for your consideration of this issue. Dennis

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
However, it isn't recognised by the print window from any Windows programs.
Have you tried a simple sentence or two in a new notepad document?
Have you tried to see if it exhibits the same issues while in Safe Mode?
Have you tried a clean boot to see if that makes any difference?
Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Reaction score
Have you tried the HP W10 app from the Windows store.

If you have WiFi try completely uninstalling the printer and IIRC there will be a directory somewhere that needs to go as well.
Then install the printer Wifi. I like to do that from the printer console , the hard way, not using WPS. Then logon to the printers internal website. Assuming that works then install the HP software and tell it to connect WiFi.

Reaction score
When I tried to print a simple new document in notepad I got this message, "A StartDocPrinter call was not issued." This is the first time I have gotten this message. After I hit print, the print page usually just disappears, giving no message, and nothing happens. I haven't tried Safe Mode or a clean boot yet, but will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks, Dennis

Reaction score
Tim - I don't have wireless capability on my desktop computer. However, I have ordered a PCI-E add-on card for WiFi and Bluetooth and when it arrives will install it and try connecting the printer by WiFi. I have a feeling this will be the eventual solution. Thanks, Dennis

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Maybe an issue with permissions for the spool folder
Have a look at this and see if it might apply

Mine looks like this
Capture.PNG

Pay particular attention to who has what permissions to "This folder, subfolders and files.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
SOLVED!

After trying EVERYTHING and spending a full day with MS Support - here is the resolution if your issue was preceeded by a Windows 10 update

cmd.exe - right click to execute as Administrator

type

cd\Windows\System32\spool

enter

type

cacls.exe PRINTERS /E /G administrator:C

Reboot

Should work. If issues persist, you may want to also execute the above, substitute your user name for "administrator" in this line:

cacls.exe....

WE CAN PRINT AGAIN!!!!!

Reaction score
I read the entire original post then tried the suggested entry at Command Prompt, as administrator. I even tried with and without a space between /E & /G. With the space, everything proceeded normally, but on reboot, than restart, still no printer and the same "StartDocPrinter call was not issued" error in notepad. All other programs just nothing after hitting "Print". The research will continue and thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
Tim - I don't have wireless capability on my desktop computer. However, I have ordered a PCI-E add-on card for WiFi and Bluetooth and when it arrives will install it and try connecting the printer by WiFi. I have a feeling this will be the eventual solution. Thanks, Dennis
You are not using a router with Wifi? My desktop doesn't have Wifi either but I connect the printer to the router and then it has an IP address.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You don't need a wireless card in your computer to connect via the network with a wireless printer.
Assuming the computer is connected (ethernet) with the router and that same router is providing wireless capability on the network then their already connected AND assuming that same router is providing DHCP then you should be good to go.
HOWEVER
I don't think that how the printer is connected with the problem computer is likely to be a solution unless something in the reboot process is leaving your USB ports dormant, until you magically wake them up by redoing "HP Smart" install and the printer works until you reboot again.

Normally I would suggest replacing the printer cable, but that is not likely to not work and then work after you run HP Smart.

When you have this problem try going into the Service Console (services.msc) and restarting the spooler service "Print Spooler"
It should be set to "Automatic" and start with Windows.
ALSO
Try adding your account permissions to the C:\Windows\System32\spool folder with explicit "Full Control" to that folder all subfolders and files.

Reaction score
Trying to add account permissions to the C:\Windows\System32\spool folder is where I have a problem. I keep getting "Invalid argument" after trying of enter "cacls.exe PRINTERS /E /G administrators:C to the spool line. Can you show me exactly how the line should be typed using a name from the attached? Also, should I log-in to Command Prompt simple through "Open" or as "Administrator".

I also restarted print spooler through the Service Console and it was set on "Automatic" with "Local System Account" - "Allow server to interact with desktop" checked. There was no start with Windows option offered.

I've got to mention again "Trouble", that this is a single desktop home computer, which I have never knowingly setup as a network computer, though Win 10 seems to treat it as one. I do not have WiFi or a router. I get my internet over a cable which also supplies telephone, TV and broadband which all run through a modem.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and as I only get involved with my computer when I have a problem so really need to be walked though what might seem like the simplest stuff. I am living in Denmark now, that is why the long time lapses in answering some times. Thanks again, Dennis

Attachments

• 2019-08-28 (4).png
    2019-08-28 (4).png
    127.3 KB · Views: 353

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Use "File Explorer" to browse to C:\Windows\System32
Right click the spool folder and choose "Properties"
Select the "Security" tab at the top
Click the "Advanced" button near the bottom
Click the "Change permissions" button near the bottom of that window
Click the "Add" button in that window
Click the "Select a principal" (link) near the top of that window
Click the "Advanced" button
Click the "Find Now" button
Select you account name from the list (you may have to scroll) double click it and click OK on the box you're returned to.
THEN
Tick the box that says "Full control" and click OK again
THEN
Tick the box that says "Replace all child object permissions entries with inheritable permissions entries from this object" and click OK
AND just keep click OK until you've cleared the screen of all properties and permission boxes
You may get a couple error messages, just keep clicking OK
Reboot and log back in as that account.

See if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
Hi "Trouble", thanks a ton for all the effort that went into your step-by-step instructions. When I got to step 6, "Click add button", that button was greyed-out and nothing I could do would activate it. However, that, with the scroll listings, were on one of three tabs, Permissions, the next tab was Auditing and it was set-up with a live Add button, but no scroll list. I did manage to set up a DENNIS\Dennis Neff as a principle and the entry was checked and accepted as valid. At that point I was able to proceed with the remainder of your listed steps exactly as you described them from step 8 on.

When I rebooted, the printer was again, not recognized. Remember, this is a simple home computer and the welcome screen comes on, asking for no password and giving me no choices of other accounts. It just goes right from Welcome Dennis to desktop. I did check C:Windows\System 32\Spool\Printer and found a solitary Shockwave file, with 0 bytes, which was put there as I was completing your instructions. I had emptied the file of several very old files before following your instructions so I could see if anything was put in there.
If I try to delete it I'm told I can't as "it is open in the Spool Printer folder". How can a file with 0 bytes be open:)

Unfortunately, Print Screen wouldn't work on the Properties screens, so I couldn't show you step 6 & 7. Thanks again for all you time and effort. My new WiFi/Bluetooth PCI-E board just arrived so the next step is to try to set it up that way. That won't happen until at least next week, but I'll let you know how it works out. Thank god it only takes less than two minutes to reinstall the printer if I need it.

Reaction score
Hi "Trouble", I forgot mention that the distance from the printer to the computer is about 3 ft. and I had another USB cable, so I tried switching them, though I couldn't see that it could make any difference, and it didn't. Just another possibility checked off the list.

Starting in Safe Mode, the printer doesn't work and Notepad shows that the "No printer installed". As far a clean boot goes, the General tab of Sys. Config. has Load sys. services and Load Start-up items checked and Use orig. boot config. unchecked. On the Services tab, I noticed that Printer extensions and notifications is "stopped" though it is checked. To be honest, I didn't go any farther with the clean boot as I have never used it before and didn't want to do any possible damage to the OS when I doubt if the printer would have been installed.

Ask a Question