Random Reboots

Discussion in 'Crashes, BSODs and Debugging' started by Carmine Bozzi, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Carmine Bozzi

Carmine Bozzi

I am having an issue with random reboots. I have been unable to pinpoint the problem. It happens randomly but most often when switching between open programs. I've run SFC scannow detecting no missing or corrupted files. Running Webroot SecureAnywhere and routinely run Malwarebytes. I've turned off autorestart in advance windows settings but the problem persists.
    Any suggestions on what to try next?
    Home Built Rig:
    CPU Intel Core i7-6850K
    MB Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming
    GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming
    Cooler Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid
    Boot Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2
    Memory G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Ver 1803
    PSU EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified
    Case Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX ATX Mid Tower Case
    Thanks,
    Carmine

Carmine Bozzi, Sep 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Carmine Bozzi

Saltgrass

If you want to zip and attach one or more of your minidump files, we can look at it. If you have the Memory.dmp file you can zip it and place on your OneDrive and give us access. I can't guarantee anything but someone may notice a problem.

I have that same motherboard but stopped using it about a year ago. I do not know if it has any problems with the newer Win 10 builds.

Any messages in the Event Viewer around the time of the shutdowns? Any problems with heat or could it be heat related?

Any firmware updates for the Samsung drive?

Saltgrass, Sep 13, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Carmine Bozzi

Carmine Bozzi

Thanks Saltgrass,
    My problem is no memory.dmp file forms when It reboots. I've made sure overwrite is checked and default root directory is set.
    It is not a BSOD but a simple reboot as if I've hit reboot. No Message
    Heat is not an issue never goes above 45 even under full load.
    Nothing unusual in the event viewer. Samsung drive firmware is up to date
    I read somewhere it could be a defective SCSI controller board, any way to check that?
    The reboot is usually when I do something--switch to another program or close a program, doesn't simply reboot when I am not actively using the machine.
    Very frustrating.
    There is a beta firmware for this board but haven't tried it yet. Its been beta for a while.

Carmine Bozzi, Sep 13, 2018
  4. Carmine Bozzi

Saltgrass

Video drivers? I was using my system during the initial trials for Win 10. For a year, running two GTX 980 cards, my system would BSOD. Since you say it only happens when you open or change programs, it could be desktop related.

Could it be a power supply situation. You might try changing the outlet you normally use. If you are using a UPS, bypass it for testing. Check and make sure all cables are fully inserted and secure. If you aren't getting any messages about the problem, it may be happening in such a way the system does not have time to log any errors.

Try taking the memory down to 16 GBs. I have seen some comments about certain systems having problems with 32 GBs...

I think if I could not find the actual problem, I might start to suspect the M.2 drive.. I will be setting my system back up for testing this afternoon.

Saltgrass, Sep 13, 2018
  5. Carmine Bozzi

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

Trouble, Sep 13, 2018
  6. Carmine Bozzi

Carmine Bozzi

Video drivers are up to date. Both 12 and 3.3 volts are within normal range and stable. Cables are all solid. I'll try the 16 GB thing and Noob Wisperer's clean boot.

I too was wondering about the M.2 drive, when I built this thing a few months ago there were still some bugs being reported.

I'll keep at it and see where it goes.

thanks,

Carmine Bozzi, Sep 14, 2018
  7. Carmine Bozzi

Saltgrass

Are you running a normal (100%) DPI setting on your display?

Saltgrass, Sep 18, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question