Random Reboots

Reaction score
I am having an issue with random reboots. I have been unable to pinpoint the problem. It happens randomly but most often when switching between open programs. I've run SFC scannow detecting no missing or corrupted files. Running Webroot SecureAnywhere and routinely run Malwarebytes. I've turned off autorestart in advance windows settings but the problem persists.
Any suggestions on what to try next?
Home Built Rig:
CPU Intel Core i7-6850K
MB Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming
GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming
Cooler Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid
Boot Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2
Memory G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Ver 1803
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified
Case Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX ATX Mid Tower Case
Thanks,
Carmine

Reaction score
If you want to zip and attach one or more of your minidump files, we can look at it. If you have the Memory.dmp file you can zip it and place on your OneDrive and give us access. I can't guarantee anything but someone may notice a problem.

I have that same motherboard but stopped using it about a year ago. I do not know if it has any problems with the newer Win 10 builds.

Any messages in the Event Viewer around the time of the shutdowns? Any problems with heat or could it be heat related?

Any firmware updates for the Samsung drive?

Reaction score
Thanks Saltgrass,
My problem is no memory.dmp file forms when It reboots. I've made sure overwrite is checked and default root directory is set.
It is not a BSOD but a simple reboot as if I've hit reboot. No Message
Heat is not an issue never goes above 45 even under full load.
Nothing unusual in the event viewer. Samsung drive firmware is up to date
I read somewhere it could be a defective SCSI controller board, any way to check that?
The reboot is usually when I do something--switch to another program or close a program, doesn't simply reboot when I am not actively using the machine.
Very frustrating.
There is a beta firmware for this board but haven't tried it yet. Its been beta for a while.

Reaction score
Video drivers? I was using my system during the initial trials for Win 10. For a year, running two GTX 980 cards, my system would BSOD. Since you say it only happens when you open or change programs, it could be desktop related.

Could it be a power supply situation. You might try changing the outlet you normally use. If you are using a UPS, bypass it for testing. Check and make sure all cables are fully inserted and secure. If you aren't getting any messages about the problem, it may be happening in such a way the system does not have time to log any errors.

Try taking the memory down to 16 GBs. I have seen some comments about certain systems having problems with 32 GBs...

I think if I could not find the actual problem, I might start to suspect the M.2 drive.. I will be setting my system back up for testing this afternoon.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Video drivers are up to date. Both 12 and 3.3 volts are within normal range and stable. Cables are all solid. I'll try the 16 GB thing and Noob Wisperer's clean boot.

I too was wondering about the M.2 drive, when I built this thing a few months ago there were still some bugs being reported.

I'll keep at it and see where it goes.

thanks,

Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass, just seeing you question. I haven't made changes assume NVIDIA GPU is controlling?
Problem persists;
90% of the time it happens while switching programs. No dump file is created. Tried yours and Trouble's suggestions.
Attached are examples of critical events in the event viewer.

Attachments

• errors at shutdown..txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 453
Reaction score
The Kernel Power entries are usually the result of the shutdown but not the cause.

There may be an events entry including some type of bug check but it may be your system is having this happen so suddenly, not time to create dump files or write to the log.

If you have a dump file it is in the Windows\minidump folder or a Memory.dmp file in the Windows or Windows\System32 folder.

You might try opening a Reliability Monitor graph and see what it shows. Type in Cortana to open.

Reaction score
It doesn't show much.
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 11:59:03 AM on ‎10/‎1/‎2018 was unexpected

This shutdown happened when I clicked over to Ten Forum on your email notice of comment.

Any thought on which component is the most likely suspect I should switch out first? M.2 Drive?

Attachments

• reliability.JPG
    reliability.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 408
Reaction score
Trouble suggested you do a clean boot using only Microsoft components, did you try that?

I have to think it is some type of driver, but it is such an extreme reaction, hard to say...

Reaction score
I did. Rebooted while switching switching out of VLC media player to outlook. 90% of the time when it shuts down it is when I switch between apps or programs. I do usually have 3 or 4 apps open outlook, excel, chrome, word, etc, while working.What happens when you switch between apps? Where is the focus the SSD, GPU, memory? All three at once?

Reaction score
Thanks Wolfie, I'll do that
Saltgrass , VLC is not usually up when it shuts down, that was just a one time test loaded with other apps on a clean boot..
I was just on a skype conference call with 4 others. It shut down twice. nothing else loaded the second time.
It never shuts down when idle, I leave it on most of the time but have not had any shutdowns while idle.

Reaction score
Are you sure the PSU is good? Random reboots are usually caused by a bad or failing PSU followed by a possible bad or failing motherboard.

Reaction score
No not sure. Both 12 and 3.3 volts are within normal range and stable in the bios. Do you know any other way to check other than changing out? Reboot happens when I switch programs, so maybe a slight voltage spike then? Parts are all just under a year old but that doesn't mean much.

In what order would folks recommend switching things out? I'm getting desperate.
?
GPU
PSU
SSD
?

Reaction score
Hi Carmine,

firstly; try resetting BIOS to default, if you made any changes it will fix that problem for you. Check that the max settings for your RAM doesn't exceed 2400. With reference to the PSU, do you have pets in the house and are there pet hairs in the intake fans of the PSU and/or any of the other fans, it may be a thermal throttle that is causing the problem, make sure that the air flow is okay, take the side panel of the PC off and leave it that way and run the PC, if after doing all of the above, you may solve your problem without making hardware changes. Remove any hardware components you don't use!. :)

Reaction score
Tried all of the suggestions.
reset bios to default
set ram to 2400
took off doors and cleaned out dust from all intake fans
All fans functioning optimally cpu temp at 29 at idle 49 under load
Still restarts expectantly when switching programs.
ASUS has a beta firmware dated 4/18 for this board I'll think I'll try that before I start switching out components.
any other ideas?

Reaction score
Successfully installed firmware but problem persists. Rebooted when running stress test under Realbench. Don't think it was temp related it crashed while at 51 degrees. It weathered the RealBench benchmark but crashed under the stress test.

Ask a Question