Random Reboots

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try removing one stick of RAM and see if it still crashes.

Reaction score
I know everyone is getting a bit bored with this.
Tried running Windows memory diagnoses crashed before completed - this is new so:
Removed 2 of the memory modules - no change
Removed other 2 and replaced with first 2 - no change
Replaced GPU with another GPU - no change
No rebooting while idle. Checked the event log shuts down and reboots every 14 to 15 minutes
strange why every 14-15 minutes, almost as if programmed?

Reaction score
One more hint that it is definitely hardware related. When I boot into the bios it re-boots in about 15 minutes with no activity. But what hardware motherboard or SSD. Best guess is mobo. Any recommendations on a replacement since I am stuck with a LGA -2011-v3 socket with my i7-6850, unless I change that out as well.

Reaction score
Hi Carmine,

LGA 2011 DDR4 MoBo's are expensive, I would first replace the hard drive to see if that is the problem, if it isn't; I would consider buying a cheaper board and selling your I7 CPU on eBay!. Due to the cost of Intel boards, I would go with AMD and get yourself an AMD CPU like a first gen Ryzen 7 or something along those lines. The mobos are fairly cheap for the AM4 socket right now. Just a suggestion. :):):)

From ASUS:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/AMD-platform-Products/

MSI:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboards/

AMD Ryzen:

https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen-7

Reaction score
Thanks Wolfie, my thoughts as well. The X99 had a very short run.

Finally have a dump file to share, probably due to all my other changes etc. rather than the original issue. See what folks think.

The symptoms again: Now shuts down like clockwork, in reviewing the event viewer shuts down every 14 to 15 minutes. Will shut down when in bios also when booting to a USB--also every 15 minutes

Sometime when loading certain apps will shut down sooner. RealTemp cased a BSOD 9 and the dump file. Follow-up loads of real temp loaded fine no BSOD.

Is it the SSD or the PSU?

Next I am trading out my old 750 for the current 850 PSU and see what happens. If it still re-boots will try a fresh install on my other SSD.
I tried resetting Windows but wouldn't stay up the 20 minutes needed.

Attachments

• Dump and info32.zip
    173.9 KB · Views: 248

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
iaStorA.sys 4/18/2013 is being blamed and it seems to me that you should be able to find a more recent driver than 2013.

Reaction score
Hi Carmine,

I forgot to mention, if you do get a Ryzen CPU and mobo, make sure the mobo says "Ryzen Ready" on the box otherwise you won't be able to run a Ryzen CPU on it without updating the BIOS first!. ;)

Double check at the shop where you buy it that it does indeed have the latest BIOS and that will run a Ryzen CPU!. :):):)

Reaction score
Well I think I fixed it, although I can't pinpoint what the problem was. I re-seated the CPU applying thermal paste. I booted up and crashed after resetting to system defaults and wouldn't post after several tries. So I again re-seated the CPU and pulled out the PSU and reconnected everything, changing PSU slots where I could. The rig has been up now for about 12 hours without a reboot. I stressed the CPU for about 15 minutes without problems.
I should have been more systematic with the changes but lost patience.
Even though the rig is less than a year old I might go with Wolfie's suggestion.
Thanks for all the advice along the way.

Reaction score
Hi Carmine,

just a thought, are all the stand-offs on the mobo in the right place, I ask because I built a PC a while back and while not paying attention, put a stand-off in the wrong place which caused major problems a short time later, it took me a while to find the fault, swapping out the PSU and CPU among other things, I finally removed the mobo to find 1 lousy stand-off in the wrong place!. I can't even trust myself sometimes!. LOL :):):)

Reaction score
I thought I was finished, now my other drives don’t show in windows. They show and are identified in the bios but not when I boot. Haven’t played with it yet but starting to wonder again if the PSU might be faulty. In addition to reseating the cpu I changed out the slots the leads were plugged into. Not sure that is it since the two drives are powered from different plugs??
I did check the standoffs and they are in the right place

Reaction score
Not yet still trying to figure out why these drives aren't working since the only thing I changed is the PSU connector.
Will try that next.

Reaction score
Sorry but I have no further ideas, maybe you could take the PC into the garden and offer it as a sacrifice to the computing gods?. LOL. :)

Joking aside, I really don't know what else to suggest apart from a new mobo and CPU which has already been suggested. ;)

Ask a Question