Random Reboots

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try removing one stick of RAM and see if it still crashes.

A

Advertising

Reaction score
I know everyone is getting a bit bored with this.
Tried running Windows memory diagnoses crashed before completed - this is new so:
Removed 2 of the memory modules - no change
Removed other 2 and replaced with first 2 - no change
Replaced GPU with another GPU - no change
No rebooting while idle. Checked the event log shuts down and reboots every 14 to 15 minutes
strange why every 14-15 minutes, almost as if programmed?

A

Advertising

Reaction score
One more hint that it is definitely hardware related. When I boot into the bios it re-boots in about 15 minutes with no activity. But what hardware motherboard or SSD. Best guess is mobo. Any recommendations on a replacement since I am stuck with a LGA -2011-v3 socket with my i7-6850, unless I change that out as well.

Reaction score
Hi Carmine,

LGA 2011 DDR4 MoBo's are expensive, I would first replace the hard drive to see if that is the problem, if it isn't; I would consider buying a cheaper board and selling your I7 CPU on eBay!. Due to the cost of Intel boards, I would go with AMD and get yourself an AMD CPU like a first gen Ryzen 7 or something along those lines. The mobos are fairly cheap for the AM4 socket right now. Just a suggestion. :):):)

From ASUS:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/AMD-platform-Products/

MSI:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboards/

AMD Ryzen:

https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen-7

Reaction score
Thanks Wolfie, my thoughts as well. The X99 had a very short run.

Finally have a dump file to share, probably due to all my other changes etc. rather than the original issue. See what folks think.

The symptoms again: Now shuts down like clockwork, in reviewing the event viewer shuts down every 14 to 15 minutes. Will shut down when in bios also when booting to a USB--also every 15 minutes

Sometime when loading certain apps will shut down sooner. RealTemp cased a BSOD 9 and the dump file. Follow-up loads of real temp loaded fine no BSOD.

Is it the SSD or the PSU?

Next I am trading out my old 750 for the current 850 PSU and see what happens. If it still re-boots will try a fresh install on my other SSD.
I tried resetting Windows but wouldn't stay up the 20 minutes needed.

Attachments

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
iaStorA.sys 4/18/2013 is being blamed and it seems to me that you should be able to find a more recent driver than 2013.

Reaction score
Hi Carmine,

I forgot to mention, if you do get a Ryzen CPU and mobo, make sure the mobo says "Ryzen Ready" on the box otherwise you won't be able to run a Ryzen CPU on it without updating the BIOS first!. ;)

Double check at the shop where you buy it that it does indeed have the latest BIOS and that will run a Ryzen CPU!. :):):)

Reaction score
Well I think I fixed it, although I can't pinpoint what the problem was. I re-seated the CPU applying thermal paste. I booted up and crashed after resetting to system defaults and wouldn't post after several tries. So I again re-seated the CPU and pulled out the PSU and reconnected everything, changing PSU slots where I could. The rig has been up now for about 12 hours without a reboot. I stressed the CPU for about 15 minutes without problems.
I should have been more systematic with the changes but lost patience.
Even though the rig is less than a year old I might go with Wolfie's suggestion.
Thanks for all the advice along the way.

Reaction score
Hi Carmine,

just a thought, are all the stand-offs on the mobo in the right place, I ask because I built a PC a while back and while not paying attention, put a stand-off in the wrong place which caused major problems a short time later, it took me a while to find the fault, swapping out the PSU and CPU among other things, I finally removed the mobo to find 1 lousy stand-off in the wrong place!. I can't even trust myself sometimes!. LOL :):):)

Reaction score
I thought I was finished, now my other drives don’t show in windows. They show and are identified in the bios but not when I boot. Haven’t played with it yet but starting to wonder again if the PSU might be faulty. In addition to reseating the cpu I changed out the slots the leads were plugged into. Not sure that is it since the two drives are powered from different plugs??
I did check the standoffs and they are in the right place

Reaction score
Not yet still trying to figure out why these drives aren't working since the only thing I changed is the PSU connector.
Will try that next.

Reaction score
Yes 1902 ,which has been beta since March. Did it as an attempted fix for the other issue

Reaction score
Sorry but I have no further ideas, maybe you could take the PC into the garden and offer it as a sacrifice to the computing gods?. LOL. :)

Joking aside, I really don't know what else to suggest apart from a new mobo and CPU which has already been suggested. ;)

Reaction score
I think you are right, one more try with a different PSU then on to a new board (non-2011-3)

A

Advertising

Ask a Question