Random reboots...

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help with an issue I'm having with my son's PC.
I've recently replaced a faulty psu which was causing the computer to re boot and that appeared to solve the issue. However it's now re booting again which I'm sure isn't related to the earlier problems. My concern is that the faulty psu has caused damage to other hardware.
Machine specs are:

MB - Asus M5 A78L-M
CPU - AMD bulldozer FX6300 6 core
Memory - 2x4GB 1600Mhz memory (unsure of brand)
Video - Asus 2gb GeForce Nvidia GTX 650Ti Boost
Psu - corsair hx750i
H/D - Western Digital 1TB internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue
Windows 10 64bit

I'm currently running with 4gb (one stick) of ram and on board graphics to reduce what the issues could be. This is still causing re boots every hour or so and doesn't appear to be linking to loado the machine. When it restarts I don't get an error appear but it does create a log in the mini dump folder. Running blue screen view gives the following info:

121815-16796-01.dmp 18/12/2015 08:53:22 0x00000124 00000000`00000000 ffffe001`a99938f8 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 ntoskrnl.exentoskrnl.exe+677781 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+677781

This is replicated every time it re boots.
Any ideas what it could be? I've tried two different hard drives so sure that isn't the problem, tried each stick of memory independently with the same results, psu is new, graphics card has been removed... I'm wondering if there has been damage caused to the cpu or motherboard? I'm loathed to splash out on new bits though if that isn't the problem? I have also recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 but I get this problem with both o/s so can't see it being that.
Abby advice would be most welcome!

Many thanks,

Mick.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
tried each stick of memory independently with the same results
Did you also try the module(s) in an alternate DIMM slot on the board?
Are you running the latest BIOS for that specific board and rev.#
Pop the fan and heat sink off and apply some fresh thermal paste

Reaction score
Did you also try the module(s) in an alternate DIMM slot on the board?
Are you running the latest BIOS for that specific board and rev.#
Pop the fan and heat sink off and apply some fresh thermal paste
Thanks for the reply.
Theres only 2 slots for the ram, I've tried each in the "first" slot. Not tried in the other slot, I was under the impression you had to use the first slot before going onto the next?
I've reset the bios but not installed a fresh one. To be honest I'm not sure how you do that. I download a ROM file for the bios but want sure how to actually install it.
I've re applied thermal paste when I had an earlier problem a few weeks ago. I'm pretty confident it's not a heat issue as it will sometimes run for hours on load and other times will shut down after a few minutes of simply idling.
Thanks again for the reply, I'll have a go at the bios and see if the memory will work in the other slot. My feeling is it will be a cpu / mother board problem.

Cheers.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was under the impression you had to use the first slot before going onto the next?
Sometimes, but not generally.
My feeling is it will be a cpu / mother board problem.
Make sure the processor is properly seated and that you didn't over apply the thermal paste.
Inspect the board for swollen or leaking capicitors. Other than that if you have some bad tracings you'll likely never find them.

Reaction score
Faulty PSU's can destroy a MB but it is usually instantaneous and total destruction. Check every connection. The main connection from the PSU to the MB can often be partially connected but appear fine at a glance.
You say you reset the BIOS. I assume that you mean you selected optimized defaults
We also assume you or your son were not over clocking it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dan,
I've now updated the bios to the latest version (there was a new one available a few months ago). All connections appear to be fine, I've unplugged and plugged everything. None of the caps appear to be blown and it's not or ever been overclocked.
I've since swapped a stick of memory to the "second" slot and that works so will run with that for a while and see what happens. Also I'm happy with the thermal paste, I watched numerous tutorials and definitely didn't over apply it.
Appreciate all the comments, I'll keep it running and see what happens.

Anyone any ideas what the codes blue screen view came back with relate to? I can try to upload a log file if anyone more knowledgeable that me can decipher it?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
There are certainly some knowledgeable members on this forum who would be happy I am sure to help. Send a snip of the file.

Reaction score
Thanks Dan.
Won't let me upload a .dmp file for some reason? If anyone would be able to assist then please let me know and I could always email it over to you?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
To me it sounds like a damaged motherboard. There's really no way to be certain, unless you have another to test with. Most modern motherboards come with over volt protection. I would doubt it's the cpu, and the ram comes back ok. If I were to render a guess (and it's only a guess), that the motherboard was the issue all along. Did you test the old PSU with a multi meter?

Reaction score
Trouble,

Thanks for that. I've zipped 2x logs and hopefully uploaded them. They are from Windows 7 not 10 however the PC behaves the same regardless of which OS I have running.

Thanks,
Mick

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    21.5 KB · Views: 339
Reaction score
Big Feet,
I'm getting that impression too. I'm certain the initial problem was the PSU as I could replicate the fault by working the PC, ie running multiple HD videos until it crashed. Monitoring the CPU temps would show them going very high before it shut down. I believe that this was due to a supply issue from the PSU. Since I replaced the PSU temps are now fine and I cannot replicate the problem, it seems to be somewhat random. I'm certain the problem I had before isn't the problem I have now however it may have been caused by the previous issue with the PSU.
Since the other advice was posted I have moved a single stick of RAM into "slot 2", updated the BIOS and I've also disconnected the optical drive. Touch wood it hasn't rebooted in the last 5 or 6 hours of use which is longer than it was previously managing so hopefully it might have sorted itself. Would be nice to know what it is though, I'll start moving / re introducing bits back in to see if I can get it to fail again.

Thanks for all the advice, it is most appreciated!

Mick.

Reaction score
If the MB was damaged, you probably would not be up and running right now. A more likely suspect is the DIMM slot. After a while try plugging your memory in it and see if your symptoms return. If so, then Trouble had the correct solution in his earlier post.

Last edited:

Ask a Question