SOLVED Recycle Bin unable to be Displayed

Reaction score
I have tried selecting the Recycle Bin check box in Desktop Icon settings but it fails to take. Whilst it is checked I have tried clicking Apply. However, close out the Desktop Icon settings and reopen to find the checkbox is again unchecked.
Right Clicking space on the Desktop and selecting View reveals that Show Desktop Icons is active. I have tried deselecting and reselecting to no avail.
I've tried the sequence some five times, all with the same results.
Any suggestions where to go from here?

Reaction score
Open File Explorer > click View > top right, click Options > click Change folder and search options > click View.............
check " Show hidden files, folders and drives "
UN-check " Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"
Apply/OK

Back to File Explorer > under This PC, click your C drive > right side, at the top of the list is $Recycle.Bin > right click at it > click Send to > click Desktop (create shortcut ).

You now have a Recycle bin shortcut at youi desktop.

*** Make sure you recheck the box " Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have tried selecting the Recycle Bin check box in Desktop Icon settings but it fails to take. Whilst it is checked I have tried clicking Apply. However, close out the Desktop Icon settings and reopen to find the checkbox is again unchecked.
Right Clicking space on the Desktop and selecting View reveals that Show Desktop Icons is active. I have tried deselecting and reselecting to no avail.
I've tried the sequence some five times, all with the same results.
Any suggestions where to go from here?

Reaction score
Michael,
Have the habit of creating a restore point in a regular basis when the system is running fine.
That way, you can also have something to fall back on.
Had you have a "good" restore point, you would be able to run a system restore to recover the missing Recycle Bin.

You are welcome.

Reaction score
Michael,
Have the habit of creating a restore point in a regular basis when the system is running fine.
That way, you can also have something to fall back on.
Had you have a "good" restore point, you would be able to run a system restore to recover the missing Recycle Bin.

You are welcome.
Hi davidhk129.
Many thanks for the advice. However, on this occasion all my restore points were established under Windows 8.1 so were not a great help as the icon vanished after upgrading to Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the same issue, and have been unsuccessful with other 'fixes'.
This one hasn't worked for me either.
I followed david's advice to the point of "right side, at the top of the list is $Recycle.Bin".
Nope. There is no Recycle Bin listed there.
Anyone have any other faults? Recycle bin seems to have completely disappeared from all and every view.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the same issue, and have been unsuccessful with other 'fixes'.
This one hasn't worked for me either.
I followed david's advice to the point of "right side, at the top of the list is $Recycle.Bin".
Nope. There is no Recycle Bin listed there.
Anyone have any other faults? Recycle bin seems to have completely disappeared from all and every view.

I lost my recycle bin and other icons, tried a few of the listed solutions but they didn't work. I then realised that I had changed my laptop to 'tablet mode' whilst exploring my new laptop. Switched off 'tablet mode' and everything came back to normal including my rubbish bin. To check if tablet mode is 'on' - click on the Action Centre/Notification icon on right side of the task bar.

Reaction score
I lost my recycle bin and other icons, tried a few of the listed solutions but they didn't work. I then realised that I had changed my laptop to 'tablet mode' whilst exploring my new laptop. Switched off 'tablet mode' and everything came back to normal including my rubbish bin. To check if tablet mode is 'on' - click on the Action Centre/Notification icon on right side of the task bar.
Thanks it worked perfectly

Reaction score
I have lost my Recycle Bin and have tried all of the fixes listed. I did a search for it and found a file in the D:Recovery drive - not a folder, but a file. I'm reluctant to do anything with this, because I don't know anything about the recovery drive and this does not look like a recycle "bin."

$recycle.bin.cdf-ms
c;\windows\winSxS\filemaps

Ask a Question