Reinstall after crash - alternatives?

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for your patience, as I'm never sure that I'm phrasing my question properly.
I currently have the new windows 10, which was free and which upgraded my original win 7. I'm trying to prepare in advance for a bad day, when everything crashes and gets lost. So I have 2 questions related to following such a crash.....

1. If I no longer want Win 10 - Can I just reinstall my original set of repair/rescue disks that I created when my machine was new and had Win 7? Can I just do that and forget all about Win 10? With no harm done? My PC will still be able to install the original Win 7?

2. Or if I wish to keep the new free Windows 10, is this the correct method to ensure a good reinstall........? First, before a crash, I go to this site, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench and I download Win 10 ISO files. Second I burn the ISO file to external drive or USB. Third, after a crash, I simply use the external drive/ISO image to reload all over again Win 10. I do those three things, yes? With no harm done, and my PC will reload with a fresh Win 10 and work properly, yes?

Thank you for any help.

p.s. Re Q2. I've just spotted this page..... https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 Should I download this Win 10 Tool, and reinstall Win 10 this way......? Why or how is that different from the method I already mentioned above in Q2?
thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Q1 : If you have made the Win 7 installation media as you said you had, then the answer is ...........yes, you can use the media to reinstall Windows 7.
I have an Acer Aspire. When I had it, I created a set of 4 DVDs which Acer calls them Factory Default Disks. I had use the set at least twice reinstalling Windows 7 from Windows 10.

Q2 : Both have the same ISO. No difference when it comes to the ISO files.
As long as your installed Windows 10 is activated, you can use the USB to reinstall whenever you want, and as many times as you want. Activation will be automatic.

Reaction score
Q1 : If you have made the Win 7 installation media as you said you had, then the answer is ...........yes, you can use the media to reinstall Windows 7.
I have an Acer Aspire. When I had it, I created a set of 4 DVDs which Acer calls them Factory Default Disks. I had use the set at least twice reinstalling Windows 7 from Windows 10.

Q2 : Both have the same ISO. No difference when it comes to the ISO files.
As long as your installed Windows 10 is activated, you can use the USB to reinstall whenever you want, and as many times as you want. Activation will be automatic.

Thanks for responding. Yes my windows 10 is activated and in full use. So, whether I download the ISO files and burn the image to disk, or, whether I use the Win 10 tool, I end up with the exact same ISO image, yes? I'll try the tool, install onto a USB, and see how I get on. Many thanks.
Regards.

Reaction score
whether I download the ISO files and burn the image to disk, or, whether I use the Win 10 tool, I end up with the exact same ISO image, yes?

Yes.
I used the 2nd link ( Media Creation Download Tool ) > downloaded the ISO > burnt it to a bootable DVD.
I had used it to reinstall Win 10.

Ask a Question