Reinstall windows 10

Reaction score
My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with an Intel i7-4700MQ, with 8 GB. I am looking at buying a new machine but thought reinstalling windows might help. I have no problem installing updates. But more and more frequently the hard drive pins at 100% and when that occurs all the apps are dysfunctional, usually stating that the app is not responding, even Task Manager. I have backed up all my files to a portable hard drive. What I am concerned about is having to reload all the apps, and more so all the updates this laptop has received over the years. Originally purchased new in 2013 with windows 8. Are there plain instructions on how to do this?

Reaction score
Have you considered replacing the HDD with an SSD? Cloning the HDD onto a bigger SSD of course to preserve anything. My Lenovo of the same vintage responded well to that for speed, heat and battery life.

Reaction score
Instead of upgrading an old machine I would rather put the money to a new machine. My question was about reloading windows and NOT have to reload my apps, and worse having to go through an enormous number of updates to windows 10 after reinstalling.

Reaction score
Instead of upgrading an old machine I would rather put the money to a new machine. My question was about reloading windows and NOT have to reload my apps, and worse having to go through an enormous number of updates to windows 10 after reinstalling.

Regarding the updates, that actually depends on which version your new machine comes with. If you have 2004 or 2009 on it the updates are marginal (about 5-8 updates not including the Defender updates).
However, on the new machine you will have to re-install all apps/programs you had on your old machine beside the apps that already come with windows. Also you have to add all your mail accounts again and import all your bookmarks...

Reaction score
Which I why I suggest an SSD, they are so cheap now and of course you don't have to reload anything. including Windows. But you do have to able to get into the machine...not always easy on a laptop.

But if you want a new machine then go for it!

Ask a Question