Windows 10 Update Error - Will not boot/reinstall/reimage

Reaction score
Hi anyone & everyone,

On 03/10/20 midnight I shut down my laptop (Dell XPS circa 2016) - a Windows 10 update started and as far as I know laptop shut down as normal. Next morning, computer boots up with Dell icon and the following (3) messages: Preparing Automatic Repair, Diagnosing Your PC, Attempting Repairs -- then the blue Windows screen appears with Continue, Use a Device, Troubleshoot, etc.

Computer will not boot in Safe Mode, and I have tried:
- Startup Repair (above process occurs returning to blue screen)
- Continue to exit to Windows Recovery Environment (restarts and the whole above process occurs returning to blue screen)
- Uninstalling quality/feature updates (both return errors: "Pending update actions" and to try start up repair (which will not work)
- System restore from 2 points on 2/18 & 3/10 (error: "Failed while mounting registry from the restore point 0x80070020")
- Reset this PC - gets to about 40% and restarts, returning to blue screen

I have NOT yet attempted a Factory Image Restore in the hopes that anyone has some kind of command prompt recovery assistance or something I haven't tried. Really aghast that a failed Windows 10 update has annihilated my otherwise perfectly functioning device.

Thanks in advance.
Lili

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wolfie is probably right.
At this point, with two failed system restores and one failed Reset, it's hard to guess what state the current OS files are in currently.

I would probably pull the hard drive and attach it to another computer and run Check Disk against it to see if there are any physical issues present.
IF it's accessible you might be able to backup any critical data also, before going further with any repair efforts.

Reaction score
There is someone on the Dell forum which did a recent update and got one of the "Can't find boot device" type messages.. Are you using the Dell Support Assist? I ask because I don't use the Dell utilities..

What model XPS do you have? Do you have the Win 10 Install media you could use to boot?

Reaction score
There is someone on the Dell forum which did a recent update and got one of the "Can't find boot device" type messages.. Are you using the Dell Support Assist? I ask because I don't use the Dell utilities..

What model XPS do you have? Do you have the Win 10 Install media you could use to boot?

Hi Saltgrass, Dell was not helpful due to the machine's age. Just identified as an XPS externally, with no media or hard drive sadly.

Reaction score
Wolfie is probably right.
At this point, with two failed system restores and one failed Reset, it's hard to guess what state the current OS files are in currently.

I would probably pull the hard drive and attach it to another computer and run Check Disk against it to see if there are any physical issues present.
IF it's accessible you might be able to backup any critical data also, before going further with any repair efforts.

Trouble - trouble is (ha) I am not totally savvy... don't trust myself to go blindly into the foray of pulling the hard drive. :(

Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass, Dell was not helpful due to the machine's age. Just identified as an XPS externally, with no media or hard drive sadly.
Just so you know, the Support I am referring to is the software Dell puts on the System..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just identified as an XPS externally,
Most if not all Dell computers that I've handled have a manufacturer's tag on the back or bottom which includes
Serial Number as well as something called a Service Tag Number which you can generally plug into the Dell Support site and obtain specific information regarding your particular computer.
don't trust myself to go blindly into the foray of pulling the hard drive.
You're right.... probably best left to professionals.
I can tell you that over the years I've probably done somewhere in the neighborhood of a 100 or more hard disk replacements
AND
While I'm reasonably comfortable with my personal skill level I still, will always research the job as it varies from device to device, model to model.
OFTEN
The manufacturer (especially Dell) will offer really good step by step instructions including pictures and drawings, but in a pinch I'll often resort to YouTube or other resources.
Research is critical because often such tasks involve very delicate ribbon cables attaching keyboards and track pads as well as their associated terminal clips which must be operated properly to avoid damaging them.

Reaction score
Just a note, Dell Notebooks may have more information inside the battery compartment but may have the ESC/Express Service Code and ST/Service Tag on stickers somewhere on the case and the BIOS may have the ST in it. The difference between ST is more generic or as produced and can get drivers specific to that model and the ESC is as-shipped or the final product before sale, much more detailed.

Reaction score
Hi all - no joy yet... bit much going on at the moment and not having a functioning personal device doesn't help! I think this will have to wait until I can take it somewhere to have it looked at (or spend hours on the phone with Microsoft again). Appreciate the camaraderie during my PC misfortune!

Reaction score
Hi Lili,

do you know how to boot from a USB stick or DVD?. If you do, you can used the Advanced settings to try and fix your problem!.

Read from "If you can't boot Windows 10". :)

Reaction score
Hi Lili,

do you know how to boot from a USB stick or DVD?. If you do, you can used the Advanced settings to try and fix your problem!.

Read from "If you can't boot Windows 10". :)

Hi Wolfie - am I missing something on that thread? I don't see anything other than what I've tried - I am not sure how to boot from either - I have a USB stick (4-8gb), but laptop has no disc drive.

So frustrating that a "simple" update error could cause so much chaos.

Reaction score
Hi Lili,

if you tell us the make and model, we could tell you how to set your computer to boot from a USB stick (with Windows 10 already on it!).

Let us know and we can possibly get you up and running. ;)

Use a friends computer to create a bootable version of Windows 10 clicking on "Download tool now":

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 (GB English version, if you want a different version, click on the language button at the bottom of the page). :)

Reaction score
Hi Lili,

if you tell us the make and model, we could tell you how to set your computer to boot from a USB stick (with Windows 10 already on it!).

Let us know and we can possibly get you up and running. ;)

Use a friends computer to create a bootable version of Windows 10 clicking on "Download tool now":

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 (GB English version, if you want a different version, click on the language button at the bottom of the page). :)

It's a Dell XPS. Haha friend's computer! I have a spare I can use - just download the tool onto the USB stick?

Thanks again for trying to help!

Reaction score
It's a Dell XPS. Haha friend's computer! I have a spare I can use - just download the tool onto the USB stick?

Thanks again for trying to help!

I also want to point out that attempting the "Use a device" troubleshooting option, I get the option to select "UEFI: ST500LM021-1KJ152 Partition 1" - no idea what that means, but I have inserted the USB with Win10 download, and select that option... and the EXACT same thing happens... just a restart and back to the Blue Help SoD.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Something that might be pertinent OR perhaps not, but we've seen it before....

You should know that IF
Your install was done in compliance with UEFI / GPT standards and somehow your BIOS has been altered to legacy configuration...
That is Safe Boot has been disabled and or LEGACY has been chosen explicitly from your boot options, THEN.... your system will not boot.
IF
On the other hand your install was done in compliance with Legacy Standards and somehow the reverse has happened and your BIOS has been configured in such a manner as to support UEFI / GPT, THEN likewise your system will not boot.

It's important that you have at least a minimal understanding of what these two options entail so that you can experiment between the two and see if THAT might be what you are encountering.
Remember... It has nothing to do with what your system is capable of... It has everything to do with the state of the system when the install was performed and what state the system is currently configured to support.
That is to say what the boot process is looking for Windows Boot Manager (in the case of UEFI) OR ...
A simple MBR partition with the system files in the case of a LEGACY install.

This may help a little bit

Or not

Reaction score
UEFI: ST500LM021-1KJ152 Partition 1

Hi Lilli,

that is most likely the system reserved partition on your installed hard disk drive (HHD) or solid state drive (SSD). :)
1586150365769.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I get the option to select "UEFI: ST500LM021-1KJ152
That is most likely a standard 500 gig Seagate mechanical spinner, with a UEFI partition.
Keep in mind that if your BIOS is set to boot LEGACY you still will not be able to use it.

Capture.PNG

Ask a Question