Windows 10 Update ERROR 0x800f0982

Reaction score
Hey guys! :D
So I have been having problems lately :/ Since the new update came out: '2019-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4489899)', I can't download it, it says "Updates failed. There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. Error 0x800f0982" Not only this, but my PC can't boot up normally. When I press the ON button, there is a black screen and I have to press the restart button to boot the system normally (this happens only since this error). Any help would do :) thank you and have a nice day! :)
2019-03-17 01_10_29-Window.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Grab the full update from here
Make sure you grab the correct one x64 for 64 bit systems x86 for 32 bit systems
Ignore the server version and the Arm version
Try running that and see if it completes successfully

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My best guess is that there is something corrupt stuck and holding in the upgrade path.
What I have done, with some degree of success is.....

Empty the entire contents of the software distribution folder (everything, all subfolders and files).
In order to do this, you will need to stop both the Windows Update Services as well as the Cryptographic Service.
If you still have a Windows.old folder get rid of that as well.
You can do that relatively quickly by using an admin command prompt and typing
cleanmgr /sageset:1
hit enter and check every box and click OK
then type
cleanmgr /sagerun:1
hit enter and let it run
You should also probably delete leftover remnants of previous failed attempts such as any hidden folder that will likely look something like this
$Windows.~BT

Then maybe give your downloaded standalone installer another go.

Reaction score
My best guess is that there is something corrupt stuck and holding in the upgrade path.
What I have done, with some degree of success is.....

Empty the entire contents of the software distribution folder (everything, all subfolders and files).
In order to do this, you will need to stop both the Windows Update Services as well as the Cryptographic Service.
If you still have a Windows.old folder get rid of that as well.
You can do that relatively quickly by using an admin command prompt and typing
cleanmgr /sageset:1
hit enter and check every box and click OK
then type
cleanmgr /sagerun:1
hit enter and let it run
You should also probably delete leftover remnants of previous failed attempts such as any hidden folder that will likely look something like this
$Windows.~BT

Then maybe give your downloaded standalone installer another go.
Tried it but didn't work :/

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it.
That's pretty much all I got with respect to your issue.
I assume you've already tried the Update Troubleshooter.....
Did you see anything mentioned there that might provide further insight?

Reaction score
Sorry to hear it.
That's pretty much all I got with respect to your issue.
I assume you've already tried the Update Troubleshooter.....
Did you see anything mentioned there that might provide further insight?
Yeah I tried that aswell, but it didn't say error or anything. I have no idea what to do :/

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem and error message. It started a few weeks ago and I thought it would just fix itself but it has not. I am not sure if this will impact other updates I should be receiving. It all started with a successful update but the next day it said it was going to install the same update, then the error occurs. I thought about uninstalling the update but it is not in the list of installed updates.

What does one do?

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem and error message. It started a few weeks ago and I thought it would just fix itself but it has not. I am not sure if this will impact other updates I should be receiving. It all started with a successful update but the next day it said it was going to install the same update, then the error occurs. I thought about uninstalling the update but it is not in the list of installed updates.

What does one do?
Mate the same thing is with me at the moment and I still didn't find any solutions at all. :/

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the last 2 Win 10 updates, Error 0X800F0982 and have done all the suggestions, no go. I'm planning on waiting until the next major upgrade supposedly next month. Hopefully it will fix the problem, I'm sick of wasting time, and it's annoying that there isn't anywhere I can find what the error code is supposed to mean. Why wouldn't MS post the error codes somewhere so we at least have a chance of understanding what's wrong ?

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the last 2 Win 10 updates, Error 0X800F0982 and have done all the suggestions, no go. I'm planning on waiting until the next major upgrade supposedly next month. Hopefully it will fix the problem, I'm sick of wasting time, and it's annoying that there isn't anywhere I can find what the error code is supposed to mean. Why wouldn't MS post the error codes somewhere so we at least have a chance of understanding what's wrong ?
Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do as well, I have no idea what the problem is. My only option left is to wait and hope LUL

Reaction score
Over the past couple days, I've uninstalled a couple updates up to the date this error occurred, still no go. I used the Microsoft Windows Update Show/Hide program to hide the …. 899 update so it doesn't keep trying to install it. Very annoying, but my PC is running OK otherwise. https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca...t-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo
I uninstalled updates too, tried to download the update manually from the Microsoft site but everything failed :/

Reaction score
Today's latest update KB4490481 has failed with the same error code. IMO, the plan to wait for version 1903 is the only fix for me, hopefully I'll be one of the first.

Reaction score
Just finished upgrading to version 1903, took about 3.5 hrs to complete the entire process, but is running pretty good. I'll keep an eye on the updates, but don't expect any trouble since I now have a new OS version.

Reaction score
Did the first cumulative update this AM, updated and installed without issue. 1903 seems stable and not many errors in the event viewer, I'm a happy camper !

Reaction score
Did the first cumulative update this AM, updated and installed without issue. 1903 seems stable and not many errors in the event viewer, I'm a happy camper !
What is the Status ?? , is it still stable or it has given some more problems. I tried to install the windows defender application guard but it shut me off. will system restore help if i select a date prior to the 9899 update

Reaction score
Win 10 version 1903 is stable and working great on my main PC since I upgraded yesterday. I have no issues that I can find, and I won't have any hesitation upgrading my others when it is released to the general public soon. If you are having a problem with an update and it has caused issues, running system restore to a date previous will probably help. I've used system restore many times in the past, (all the way back to Windows ME when it was introduced) to undo things that haven't worked right, and it just about always puts the OS back the way it was before. Failing that, a good image is a lifesaver, and for most of my PCs I use Acronis as I find it's the easiest .

Ask a Question