Windows 10 Update ERROR 0x800f0982

Reaction score
OmarHO,

Try doing a system restore , it has helped me in fixing the issue. After system restore try using the system without any new updates and let the indexing get complete and later manually install the new update and that should take care of the issue very well.

This should help you

Reaction score
I'm so sick of looking at the error pish and going round in circles. I switched from Computer Science to Psychology for a reason, and doing anything more than a normal consumer would have to is making me irrationally angry. I'm having error codes on 3 Cumulative updates. The 2 containing stuff for Hololens I couldn't give a flying pig about, but one of them provides fixes for accessing some .gov.uk websites which is pretty important if you need to access .gov.uk websites for welfare purposes in the UK, or to even access Gov advice on important issues. It gets right to 100% then craps out and gives me the 0x800f0982 for it (For the KB4505056 update) 11 times now (KB4493509 has failed 10 times, and KB4494441 has failed 3). Done a bunch of stuff from googling and from this thread. No joy. I give up. Just putting this here really to add another voice to the eternally irritated at error codes. It's gone 5am and I'm forcing myself to bed even though my ADHD is looking at the error/Updates failed and screaming at me to fix them. Don't worry about thinking of any additional fixes that maybe havent been mentioned in this thread because I. Am. Done. with trying to get them to install.

Reaction score
There may be some things you can do. I cannot find a reference to the error mentioned so no help there. But you have a log on your system which should describe the error. The CBS log (Windows\Logs\CBS) is long and may have been archived but if you search the log for the error number, you might get an explanation.

Also, if you wanted, you can create a Windows Update log you could check to see what might be happening. If you look in the Windows folder, there is a text file (WindowsUpdate.log) which shows how to generate that log. You will see the same error in that log but if you have not looked at one before it may be hard to decipher. You could zip and attach, but it may have sensitive info embedded in certain sections.

It seems having USB devices or SD cards attached can cause problems and that problem is delaying the current Insider's builds.

Last edited:

Ask a Question