SOLVED Windows Update Error 0x8007010b

Reaction score
Some updates cannot be installed. My computer has repeatedly downloaded them and removed them again. The error message is 0x8007010b. Please could you advise me what to do, bearing in mind that my technical knowledge is minimal, although I can use command prompt as an administrator. Have tried scannow and checkdisk to no avail. Troubleshooting updates did not help either.

Reaction score
Does the error mean anything to you?

ERROR_DIRECTORY
267 (0x10B)
The directory name is invalid.

There are some normal procedures which are recommend with update problems such as re-registering some .dll files, has that been done?

Did the SFC check show any bad files?

Reaction score
I just got this on the machine which had not been updated since Nov. This is what I saw on the other system which was up to date prior to this last update..

Feature_small.jpg

Reaction score
I just got this on the machine which had not been updated since Nov. This is what I saw on the other system which was up to date prior to this last update..

View attachment 11382
I've gotten this on 2 of my PC's at boot over the last couple days. One before and one after the update. Looks to be a microsoft nag screen to entice people to use their "services".

Reaction score

ERROR_DIRECTORY
267 (0x10B)

There are some normal procedures which are recommend with update problems such as re-registering some .dll files, has that been done?

Thank you for your kind reply. Neither the SFC check nor troubleshoot picked up anything wrong and I don't know which directory could be invalid. Perhaps it has something to do with uninstalling 2007 Home & Student and replacing it with Trio Office a few months ago, but I doubt it.

I also have no idea of which directory could have an invalid name.

Reaction score
Hi Aztec,

you can also try the tips in the following link (the one about using the cmd prompt):

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...8007010b/f86a975f-2c07-49b3-bff7-442238907748 :)
This is certainly worth trying. I will have a go at it when the laptop is charged again and report back on the result.

ERROR_DIRECTORY
267 (0x10B)

[/QUOT

ERROR_DIRECTORY
267 (0x10B)

PS: how would I go about re-registering .dll files or even know which ones?

Reaction score

ERROR_DIRECTORY
267 (0x10B)

Ok. Found instructions on how to re-register all .dll files.

Reaction score
Some updates cannot be installed. My computer has repeatedly downloaded them and removed them again. The error message is 0x8007010b. Please could you advise me what to do, bearing in mind that my technical knowledge is minimal, although I can use command prompt as an administrator. Have tried scannow and checkdisk to no avail. Troubleshooting updates did not help either.
I've gotten this on 2 of my PC's at boot over the last couple days. One before and one after the update. Looks to be a microsoft nag screen to entice people to use their "services".
Have marked this as solved now, since all the updates have been installed correctly, apart from one, which is no longer coming up as an option.

Ask a Question