Remote desktop connection working great on old notebook, slow on new notebook

Reaction score
Hello,
I have the following problem. I use a 14 years old notebook to remote desktop to my work computer using MS remote desktop connection software. It is working great, as if I was sitting behind the work computer, everything is fast and smooth. Whenever I tried to change the old machine for a new notebook, I always had to return to the old one, because the remote desktop was unusable on the new ones, there is a lag when scrolling in programs, alttabbing between open windows, etc. The work desktop is running Windows 10 Pro (with all available updates installed), the screen resolution is set to 1920x1080, scale set to 100%. The old notebook is running Windows 8.1 Pro and it has a screen resolution of 1400x1050. The new notebooks I tried run Windows 10 Pro / Windows 11 Pro with screen resolutions 1920x1080 / 1920x1280. I suppose, network is not a factor, because I have tested the old vs. new in the same network environment. Also tried disabling the features available in remote desktop connection settings in experience tab, setting the connection speed to "modem" with no luck. The old notebook is working with all the features enabled. New notebooks have way better specs, the old one is practically unusable for anything else than remote desktop connection, which is unfortunately crucial for me, therefore I have to stick with it until I find a solution.
Can somebody point me in the right direction in terms of what to check/set to make the remote connection work without lag on new notebooks?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Ask a Question