Renaming Network Interface

Reaction score
I wish to change network interface names from the default Ethernet & Wi-Fi to Intel and Ralink as I have some TakeCommad scripts I need to run with those specific names. I tried to use the powershell command line suggested by Microsoft without success. Any ideas or suggestions?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Go to notification area>click on network icon>in window select Network Settings at bottom left>in new window select change adapter options>in new window right click network adaptor and select rename and change it to your specific name.

Reaction score
Go to notification area>click on network icon>in window select Network Settings at bottom left>in new window select change adapter options>in new window right click network adaptor and select rename and change it to your specific name.

I tried this. Does not work.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There are multiple Registry Keys that determine the various parameters of your Network Interface Cards. Name, Description, etc., etc.
Take a look and see if this information is helpful.
http://networkadminkb.com/KB/a71/where-network-card-information-is-stored-in-the-registry.aspx

NOTE: Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Evaluation copy. Build 10041.

Tried getting the latest version but was denied as general release is imminent.

In that version, it could be that it's not allowed as MS hasn't set that feature up. I'm currently running the RTM build version 101240 which does allow me to change it.

Ask a Question