Resolving Windows 10 automatic update challenges

Reaction score
I have used Windows for many years, since the original version release in fact, and never had problems on automatic updates till Windows 10. I bought an H.P. Windows 10 ready computer about a year and a half ago, and have had a number of problems whenever it installed an automatic update. I had to reinstall drivers for my Brother MFC printer on 2 occasions after updates, I lost my Internet on 2 occasions immediately after updates, Finally on the last automatic update my start key stopped working altogether. I attempted a reset, which failed twice, so in frustration gave up on it and installed windows 8.1 I have used 8.1 for several months without problems, but am thinking about giving Windows 10 another chance with a clean install. Any advice on reinstalling it? Should I turn off automatic updates after the installation to avoid this type of problems in the future or might there have just been an issue with the original program?

Reaction score
With Windows 10 Home you can't turn off automatic updates. Windows 10 Pro you can defer updates and upgrades.

Just for interest did your HP computer come with any antivirus software? Some AV software has proved to be a problem with W10.

Reaction score
If you are going to retry W10 then turn off/uninstall McAfee first before downloading an uptodate W10 install. Let W10 use Defender and download the free version of MalWareBytes. Your PC is registered with Microsoft so you don't need to worry about activation.

Ask a Question