SOLVED Run 2 programs/monitors concurrently?

Reaction score
At our food pantry, we have WIN 10 computers running a barcode program for volunteer check in & out . We also have security cameras accessible via the net (ExaqVision). Is there a way to install a second monitor ( & video card?) on a barcode computer and have the barcode reader on one monitor and the camera view on the other monitor, running concurrently? Existing barcode video connection is VGA....these are donated computers w/o HDMI.

Reaction score
All you need is a graphics adapter that supports two monitors in expanded mode. You can select the application you want to run on either of the monitors. It might be possible to run two displays from built-in graphics, since your machine seems to be new (aka: WIN 10).

Reaction score
All you need is a graphics adapter that supports two monitors in expanded mode. You can select the application you want to run on either of the monitors. It might be possible to run two displays from built-in graphics, since your machine seems to be new (aka: WIN 10).
clifford...thanks for the quick reply. Not new machines...older win7s, that we updated to 10. Not completely sure, but I believe they just have on-board graphics now. I don't know a lot about graphics adapters....if I go to Fry's, what do I ask for? Would just any pci adapter with VGA output work? Will I somewhere get a menu that lets me direct video from each of the two running programs to the respective monitor? Thanks again
Jack

Reaction score
A cheap ($50 range) AMD or nVidia card will do the job. It doesn't have to be a new card either. You are not gaming so you don't need high end. The cheap cards usually have both DVI and VGA connectors. And if your monitors are both VGA, you can use a DVI to VGA adapter on the DVI port.

Reaction score
Will try that. I presume the menu to assign each program to a different monitor will show up in "Display Settings"
Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question