Safe to move some Folders from my C drive?

Reaction score
I am not very computer/technically minded, and need some help. The PC was given to me by my son, who is just as 'illiterate' as me.

I am running out of space on my C drive. I have 2 other drives that are virtually empty, that I would like to transfer folders to - if I can do so safely.

I attach a document that I hope provides relevant information - please advise if I need to provide additional information.

Many thanks, in advance.

Freddi

Attachments

• 20170917-PC Issues.txt
    1,010 bytes · Views: 618

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
If open up file explorer, do you see the extra drives. If you do.......then open up a 2nd explorer window, open the file you want and then just drag and drop to the drive you want.

From a browser stand point, you can change the download destination from the browser settings so your download(s) go to one of your extra hard drives.

Reaction score
Also, right-click the Start button, go up to and open Disk Management. You will see either 1 hard drive or more than 1. However it's possible the only hard drive has several partitions on it [every hard drive needs at least one], only those with drive letters assigned can have files stored or programs installed on them. Try to use PrntScrn to get a capture of that screen, Paste into Paint [in Start, W section, Windows Accessories], Save and upload to here.

Reaction score
bassfisher6522 and Bighorn....many thanks for responses

bassfisher6522 - Firstly, sorry but I have uploaded the wrong file in my first post. I have uploaded part of it as a .pdf file. I cannot seem to upload a .docx document. I get an error message as follows " The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension (DeviceManager.docx) "
Sorry, but I do not understand your second sentence. Do you mean that if I transfer 1 or more folders to the other drives, then I also have to have to make changes to which disk my downloads files are saved.

Bighorn - please find attached the detail that I believe you asked for (as a .pdf file). I cannot see a drive with a letter attached, so I am not sure that I have provided what you asked for. However, my original document did show 'New Volume (F:) with 1.8TB free and WinRE (D:) with 19.4GB free.

I am having other problems with my Windows Taskbar and Start button - which I will open a new thread.

Many thanks again.

Freddi

Attachments

• DeviceManager.pdf
    257.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 20180129-MyPC Manager.pdf
    327.4 KB · Views: 520
Reaction score
I'd like to see a screen shot of Disk Management to see the layout of the disks and partitions on them.

Reaction score
Bighorn, please see attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180128-Disk Management.pdf
    264.7 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Reaction score
Drive F: appears to be normal, useful for storage/moving Folders and files to and for custom installing of larger programs to save room on the C: partition. I have labeled mine as DATA rather than the Default New Volume.

Reaction score
Bighorn, sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for sharing your expert knowledge - I have other pressing issues to deal with, so will try your solution later.

Many thanks again.

Freddi

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Sorry, but I do not understand your second sentence.
In your browser (Chrome, Firefox), when you download a file online from the browser you and tell the browser where you want it saved or have it ask you where you want it saved. This way you can tell it to save all your files/data to the D drive and keep C drive clean.

I use Chrome, in the Chrome settings:
  1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. Go to the webpage where you want to download the file.
  3. Save the file:
    • Most files: Click on the download link. Or, right-click on the file and choose Save as.
    • Videos: Point to the video. Click Download
      z2G5n0pmvU4jGmb2tQosFbFfL8yGI0enZPfhT7-AwhqoXWqJ7xSbWFOove8V4pc3qXU=w18
      . If you can't do this action, the video's owner or hosting site has prevented downloads.
    • PDFs: Right-click on the file and choose Save Link As.
    • Webpages: At the top right, click More
      ArAlBcUAe8h1l5m69uxnwElxkqwW0QdtIc3F
      nHFGZ_9xjCh-mP83zMzXQVJF5VYf2n6kwoBIxB2zv3V4VPT4gNTtBye8lYznogLqLPY=w13-h18
      More Tools
      nHFGZ_9xjCh-mP83zMzXQVJF5VYf2n6kwoBIxB2zv3V4VPT4gNTtBye8lYznogLqLPY=w13-h18
      Save Page As
Reference Link: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95759?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

Here's a video:

Ask a Question