Screen blanks upon plugging in charger

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.2 I cannot use my laptop whenever I plug the charger in. I used to think that the screen went blank but today I noticed that it dimmed so much it almost was blank but not quite. If I unplug my charger, the screen returns to normal. Is this a setting I can alter or is it a bug? It is very frustrating that I cannot use my laptop if it is connected to the mains.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check your control panel, power options, specifically down near the bottom for screen brightness control.
Also you may want to check
Settings -> System -> Display
And see what you might have there relative to "brightness levels"

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.2 I cannot use my laptop whenever I plug the charger in. I used to think that the screen went blank but today I noticed that it dimmed so much it almost was blank but not quite. If I unplug my charger, the screen returns to normal. Is this a setting I can alter or is it a bug? It is very frustrating that I cannot use my laptop if it is connected to the mains.

Just to add to what have already been said to you...........................

In the search box next to Start, type power options > top left click Power Options > left side, click Choose when to turn off display > at Adjust plan brightness, under Plugged In, move the slider to the right > click Save changes.

Mine is set near the middle.............................

Brightness - plugged in.jpg

Reaction score

hi ,

everyone this is a software bug a temopory fix for this is to plug the charger in and press fn+ sleep key

to to put the computer to sleep and then press fn+ sleep key again to wake it back up the screen should then boot back up

hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Reaction score

hi ,

everyone this is a software bug a temopory fix for this is to plug the charger in and press fn+ sleep key

to to put the computer to sleep and then press fn+ sleep key again to wake it back up the screen should then boot back up

posted a video for you

Reaction score
Check your control panel, power options, specifically down near the bottom for screen brightness control.
Also you may want to check
Settings -> System -> Display
And see what you might have there relative to "brightness levels"
I have tried various settings in the Control Panel and nothing I do changes the behaviour.

Reaction score

hi ,

Temporary Fix worked, thanks

Sai

Reaction score

hi ,

So, how to get permanent solution from this issue

Ask a Question