SCREEN WENT DARK

Reaction score
I have been happily using Windows 10 for 1 week now. Today while reading newspapers on-line the screen just went black. Nothing will bring it back or let me shut down the computer. I tried a Ctrl-Alt-Del several times to no avail. I tried to shut it down and it won't turn off. I can hear sounds and AOL mail announcements but can't get anything to show up on the screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Check to see if the video lead has come out. If not, hold down the power switch for 6 seconds and the system will switch off (you will lose unsaved work). Restart it and see if it comes back. If it doesn't, your video card is probably shot.

Alan

Reaction score
Check to see if the video lead has come out. If not, hold down the power switch for 6 seconds and the system will switch off (you will lose unsaved work). Restart it and see if it comes back. If it doesn't, your video card is probably shot.

Alan
Screen is black. Can't see mouse. Can't locate power switch on screen. Power switch on computer does not shut down the computer.

Reaction score
Every PC I have ever owned has had the feature that holding the power button down for 6 seconds (or more) will turn off the PC. What make is yours?

Alternatively, pull the power lead out.

Reaction score
Every PC I have ever owned has had the feature that holding the power button down for 6 seconds (or more) will turn off the PC. What make is yours?

Alternatively, pull the power lead out.
My laptop is a Dell Studio 17. I continually try to hold down the power switch for at least 15 seconds each time. It does nothing. What is a power lead? The only other thing connected to this laptop is the ac wire. If I pull that the battery keeps the system from shutting down. I held the switch down while on battery only and still nothing happens.

Reaction score
This also happened to me today after I returned from being away from my screen for a little while. The only way I could fix it was to hold the power button down until it shut off. It then restarted normally. Weird.

Reaction score
I have been happily using Windows 10 for 1 week now. Today while reading newspapers on-line the screen just went black. Nothing will bring it back or let me shut down the computer. I tried a Ctrl-Alt-Del several times to no avail. I tried to shut it down and it won't turn off. I can hear sounds and AOL mail announcements but can't get anything to show up on the screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
I'm happy to report that though I don't think my problem is solved I think I have a better idea of what might have happened. After trying all day and evening to get my computer to shut down by pushing the power switch, around 4:15 am I gave it one last try. Wow, was I surprised when my computer "woke up fully activated", in Windows Chrome, not where I was went it went black. After going over some other posts I believe it may have something to do with the sleep mode. It was shut down for almost 12 hours. I will now pursue finding out if in fact the sleep mode was somehow activated. I have never used the sleep mode but maybe the installation of Windows 10 set up something. I'll keep you posted.

Reaction score
Update on my previous post. Today the same thing happened. I was on-line doing something and the computer screen went blank. The cursor still shows and I can activate it. I tried Ctrl+Alt+Del several ties to no avail. I try to shut it down but pressing the off switch but that does nothing. The system is still on. It was on and working for about 3 hours (approx. same as yesterday). It has been in this frozen state now for 4 hours. Any opinions or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Ask a Question