SOLVED SD Card Reader is making SD Cards

Reaction score
For the past month or two; every time I try to delete content from an SD Card, the option to delete anything doesn't even appear. I have tried formatting the cards and I get the message "The disk is write protected". I thought it may be my digital camera doing it, because that is where most of the sd cards are used. So to check this possibility, I tried a card that had never been in the camera; in fact I had it in my security camera and it was the first time I had put it in my computer. Again, I could not get permission to delete anything from the card. I had found an article on using command prompts to unlock the card. It did not work either.
And they are not locked with the lock on the side of the card.
Any ideas?

Reaction score
You may have a bad card reader that does not interpret the switch on the card correctly. I have the same issue with the card reader i my laptop, but instead of fixing the internal one (part of the motherboard) I am using an external reader. works like a charm.

BTW: is the card a full fledged SD-card or a micro-SD in an adapter?? those adapters can go bad as well. However you said that you can delete in your camera, so that leaves the reader as the culprit. Try a different reader, the results may change..

Reaction score
I was wondering about it being the card reader.
I've had the same problem with both the full and micro size.

Reaction score
Check to see if there’s a switch on the side of the SD card, it may be on which means it’s write protected.

Reaction score
Thanks, I can’t find where the OP stated there’s no switch only that they’d checked the switch.
It would be unusual if this is the case as mine have the switch.

Reaction score
That’s correct.
“And they are not locked with the lock on the side of the card.”

Reaction score
So, being the switch on the side is NOT set to Lock. And I can delete content from the card when it is in my camera; it is more than likely the card reader. Is it a big hassle to replace?

Ask a Question