Search Bar not working

Reaction score
Which "search bar", which operating system? Several search bars are available for various purposes. If you are using Windows 10, are you trying to access Cortana? Or are you in "My PC"trying to find a file?

More information needed, please! Help us help you.

Reaction score
My desktop Windows 10 operating system is Microsoft Edge. On the taskbar at the bottom, close to the start icon is a 31/2" space with the instructions - Type here to search. This has been my search engine since I bought this computer about 6 years ago. Everything was working fine until the last couple of weeks when every search attempt showed "xxxx not available at this time". xxxx is whatever I entered.
Hope this helps and thanks for the interest.
Patrick

Reaction score
Your operating system is not Edge, it is Windows 10.

Edge is a browser, not an operating system. Windows 10 is an operating system (as are Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, 98, 95 and even 3.1. Various types of Linux are also operating systems, and there are many more). Browsers include Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and many others. Edge is built by Microsoft and Microsoft usually sets it as the default browser in Windows 10. However, as a user, you get to choose another default browser if you wish.

The 3 1/2' space is probably Cortana, or it may simply be a more generic search bar. Cortana is one of the ways to search. But in any case, that search bar will only work if you are connected to the internet. YOU MUST BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET FOR THAT SEARCH BAR TO WORK. If you are not connected with either a network cable from an external router or modem, or with wi-fi using a wireless network adapter (which your computer may or may not have), the result in that box for any search will be exactly what you received. My guess is that your computer was not connected to the internet.

Connect to the internet and try again.

Reaction score
Your operating system is not Edge, it is Windows 10.

Edge is a browser, not an operating system. Windows 10 is an operating system (as are Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, 98, 95 and even 3.1. Various types of Linux are also operating systems, and there are many more). Browsers include Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and many others. Edge is built by Microsoft and Microsoft usually sets it as the default browser in Windows 10. However, as a user, you get to choose another default browser if you wish.

The 3 1/2' space is probably Cortana, or it may simply be a more generic search bar. Cortana is one of the ways to search. But in any case, that search bar will only work if you are connected to the internet. YOU MUST BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET FOR THAT SEARCH BAR TO WORK. If you are not connected with either a network cable from an external router or modem, or with wi-fi using a wireless network adapter (which your computer may or may not have), the result in that box for any search will be exactly what you received. My guess is that your computer was not connected to the internet.

Connect to the internet and try again.

Reaction score
My internet is connected fine. I access Yahoo, Google, etc. The only part that is not working is the search browser close to the start button on the task bar. Since that failed, I have been using chrome to search for information.

Reaction score
You might want to run Windows Repair from tweaking.com . It is an excellent all-in-one repair application that may (probably) repair your machine. When you open it, you should probably click on "Reboot to safe mode" before actually running it. It works better in Safe Mode. It is very safe to run, but be sure to use their backup procedures before doing the repairs (Registry Backup and System Restore Backup as they will allow you to go back if a rare problem occurs while running the application).

I, personally, have used this application many times (I usually have about 10 machines running, so they do sometimes have a problem) and this application does work a large percentage of the time. Because it is safe, I never worry about running this app.

Ask a Question