Search two folders

Reaction score
I am in document control and I search these two folders all day. I would be such a boost in efficiency if I could search just these two folders. Anybody know how to do that?

Glenn

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi GlenntheSecond,

Welcome to the Forum.

To achieve that you'll need to make some settings changes in your Indexing Options.
  • Press your Windows key + S
  • In the search field type indexing options then press Enter key
That will open the Indexing Options window. Click the Modify button

io1.png

Now assuming you are meaning a folder on C drive, located under your Username, e.g. C:\Users\Glenn do the following on the next screen that appears after clicking Modify button.​
  • Remove all checks in top panel with the exception of OS ( C: )
  • Next in the top panel again, double-left-click on OS ( C: ) to expand it

io2.png

• Now while leaving OS ( C: ) checked, remove all other checks, with the exception of Users
  • Next double-left-click on Users directory to expand
    io3.png
  • Now while leaving OS ( C: ) and Users both checked, remove all other checks with the exception of the check next to your Username (i.e. the name you sign-in with), then double-left-click your Username to expand

io4.png
  • Now leaving OS ( C: ), Users, and your Username checked, remove all other checks with the exception of the Documents directory, then double-left-click on Documents to expand
io5.png
  • Now leaving OS ( C: ), Users, your Username, and Documents all checked, remove all other checks, then check the two folders you want to search for all time, then finally click OK
io6.png
  • Click Close
  • That ought to do it!

Reaction score
Hey Regedit32! Thanks so much! I am searching on a network drive and its not available to index without admin privileges. I'll have to put in a support ticket. Will this change a lot given it is not on the C:\ drive?

Thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi GlenntheSecond,

The principal will remain the same, but there will be some other variables to consider subject to how the Networked Drive is being maintained. Things to consider are the following:
  1. Are the files in a shared folder?
  2. Are the files available when offline?
  3. Are the files encrypted (or is the Server encrypted)?
  4. Is Cortana activated on your computer?

Your Admin ought to be able to make the appropriate settings for you, but with the above questions in mind, apart from what I already mentioned in my earlier response to you, there are three other things they can do within the Indexing Options window, as illustrated in attached image.

io7.png

While a lot of users do not like Cortana out of concern for privacy, the reality is it has be designed in part to have a deep integration with the Search index, and thus, if your Admin allows it to be active, it could greatly increase your ability to easily access very specific searches, rather than having to search through the many files and/or directories you currently are not wanting access to.

Ultimately, though given you require a Admin Ticket, everything I've suggested will boil down to permissions, and policies set by the Admin. They may not wish to make these changes for Security purposes or Company policy.

If the Networked Drive is sitting on a Server running under a third party application, that too will affect any modifications to Search indexing you can make, and as I am not privy to how your Network Drive is being maintained, I can only offer the suggestions given here and in the last post. The ball is in the Administrators court now.

Ask a Question