SOLVED Second Hard Drive Filling Itself Up - Unknown File

Reaction score
I have a 2nd 4TB hard drive which seems to be constantly filling itself up. As soon as I free up say 10 or 20GB, it seems to be gone within hours. I used Space Sniffer which seemed to suggest the total amount of known data is around 500GB. I also turned off Windows Paging File from this drive (so it was only active on primary SSD drive).

I ran a Windows check disk, found some errors which did some repairs, but freed up nothing.

After further analysis, there is a zero byte file in the root directory of this drive. It's file name is the same as the PC's Device Name and it says it needs Admin privileges to read it etc. It's icon is a little hardrive, DVD/CD and a green arrow to the top left. Is this a necessary Windows file?

I tried to recycle bin it, but it says the file was too large and instead should be deleted. Instead, I renamed it to see what happened and On reboot, the system recreated a new version of the file with the original name.

Any ideas where my space is going?

Reaction score
Managed to solve this myself after plucking up the courage to delete the file. It started listing files it was deleting as though is was a folder, each of which had "Backup" in the title of some sort. Turns out it was the Windows Seven Back Up process which had filled a whole 3.5TB

Ask a Question