Send To option not recognizing Mail as default email program, even when set as such

Reaction score
Unable to resize a batch of photos using the built-in Windows 10 resize feature with the Send To option:
1. Open a folder containing photos.
2. Select some photos.
3. Right-click selected photos and choose "Send to."
4. Click on "Mail Recipient" in the listed options in the pop-out menu.
5. Notice that the "Attach Files" dialogue box displays.
6. From the drop-down menu, I selected "Smaller: 640 x 480"
7. An estimate of the new total file size is given... press the Attach button.
8. Notice that the progress of the file re-size operation displays, "Preparing to send."
ISSUE: receive error message, "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action..."
Comments:
Not true, I went into the Control Panel and associated the Windows 10 Mail program as the default email program. Please see attached screen shots as verification/clarification. Is there something I am missing? I am using Windows 10 Pro. Do you need any more information from me? Any help is much appreciated! This should be a simple, useful and expected process. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• MailAssocError.JPG
    MailAssocError.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,261
  • SendToMailSize.JPG
    SendToMailSize.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 2,288
  • Win10MailDefault.JPG
    Win10MailDefault.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,259

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Go here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs
Click the link that says "Associate a file type or protocol with a program"
Scroll way down (into the "Protocols" section) until you get to "MAILTO"
Select it and click the "Change program" button near the top right
Select the Mail App from the list of choices and see if that helps with the problem.

Screenshot (6).png

Reaction score
Hey, Trouble, thank you very much for the response. Unfortunately, I have to report that I did what you said and "Mail" was already shown as the default/selected program. I even said OK again to make sure. No change, Windows 10 is not recognizing that it's own Mail program is the default when trying to use the Send to context menu choice that one gets when right-click a file. But I appreciate your reply. I even tried using a single file of different types, like .txt, .pdf, etc but I still get the same error msg. If you or anyone else has a suggestion, that would be great. I did get an idea, looking at your screen shot, that perhaps there is an issue with Windows Mail and that I should try to install a different program as my default email program? I really don't want to do that, I want to use Windows Mail... but if it's my only option... :(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There seems to be a general disconnect between the new style modern / metro apps and the typical Win32 application functionality that the Operating System relies on to perform some of it normal default feature set functions, so....
The Mail App will not operate the way you would expect....
As a Win32 Application and consequently the send to feature will not call it. As a matter of fact I don't believe that you can even associate what I would consider a critical file extension ( .eml ) with the Mail App.
To test.... try this....
Open a photo image on your computer using the modern / metro "Photo" app.
Click the "Share" icon the Circle with the three small circles around its' circumference, click "Mail" choose your account if you have more than one configured in the Mail App and send it.
So.....
Apparently, at least for me... The Mail App works with other modern / metro (now called "Universal Apps") but cannot be called from the "Send to" context menu option, as that feature requires a full featured Win32 application.

You have some options.
Some people are currently using Live Mail, part of Windows Essentials http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/essentials
While others use Thunderbird or other third party solutions.
Personally, I use Office "Outlook" and have for many years. Ever since Outlook Express went away after XP.

Reaction score
Hi Guys. Threre is a solution to this problem. In the control panel / default programs scroll down and choose "set default for the application " (text may vary a little bit - I am using Polish win 10). Then choose your email program and click "set this program as default. Voila.

Tom.
fixsendtoproblem.jpg

Reaction score
Have exactly the same problem, with a brand new win 10 computer - none of these above solutions work. I can't get my Win10 mail programme to recognize anything at all - not even its own word pad or pdf documents - even though it is the chosen default programme.

Reaction score
I've got my Mailto link going to Gmail using a Chrome extension called "Send from Gmail" but it doesn't work outside of Chrome, most importantly on the right-click Sendto mail recipient. Any ideas?

Reaction score
This problem has been driving me nuts the last few hours! Sadly none of the above recommendations work for me either and I consider myself pretty computer savvy. I even tried dragging a link to the Windows Mail app from my desktop into the 'SendTo Folder' but even that doesn't work, the Mail app doesn't even show in the SendTo menu when I do that.

Interestingly if I right click the exisiting 'Mail Recipient' shortcut icon in the 'SendTo Folder' and choose Properties there is no mail app associated with this shortcut. I have tried associating Windows Mail with it but of course that's not possible either. (see screenshot below)

Screenshot (90).png

In @Trouble's second post down I notice on his screenshot that the Mail app has a URL:mailto however this is the only app in my list where the URL is absent. I wonder if Microsoft have accidentally left the URL out on Windows 10?

If I might also add, I've recently switched from Windows Live Mail after Microsoft announced they were ending support for it on the 9th January this year. Given that there won't be any future security updates to that program it's perhaps not a good idea to go back to it now.

Reaction score
This problem has been driving me nuts the last few hours! Sadly none of the above recommendations work for me either and I consider myself pretty computer savvy. I even tried dragging a link to the Windows Mail app from my desktop into the 'SendTo Folder' but even that doesn't work, the Mail app doesn't even show in the SendTo menu when I do that.

Interestingly if I right click the exisiting 'Mail Recipient' shortcut icon in the 'SendTo Folder' and choose Properties there is no mail app associated with this shortcut. I have tried associating Windows Mail with it but of course that's not possible either. (see screenshot below)

View attachment 4697

In @Trouble's second post down I notice on his screenshot that the Mail app has a URL:mailto however this is the only app in my list where the URL is absent. I wonder if Microsoft have accidentally left the URL out on Windows 10?

If I might also add, I've recently switched from Windows Live Mail after Microsoft announced they were ending support for it on the 9th January this year. Given that there won't be any future security updates to that program it's perhaps not a good idea to go back to it now.

Same here did you solve this ? It's very frustrating as I am sure it worked last week. I keep getting outlook opening instead which is weird as defaults are set to Mail. Uninstalled Live Mail due to unsupported failures each time i opened it.

Reaction score
Same here did you solve this ? It's very frustrating as I am sure it worked last week. I keep getting outlook opening instead which is weird as defaults are set to Mail. Uninstalled Live Mail due to unsupported failures each time i opened it.
In one of my computer it really worked. No I have new computer in my office and it doesn't :(

Reaction score
@dymmy,
No sadly not, it seems Microsoft have yet to fix this problem which is pretty annoying! I think part of the issue lies with not being able to associate an 'App' with the 'Send To' link in the right click menu. In all previous versions of Windows you could associate any 'EXE' file but of course apps are different in that they don't have an 'EXE' extension like regular programs. Hopefully this will be solved eventually but for now the only option we have for sending an already saved email to someone else is to open it from within the Mail app itself.

Reaction score
Solved for me:
Win 10: I had same problem - 'send to' always went to Outlook, even though the default was showing as Thunderbird. (I checked the settings under Control Panel - Default programs - set your default Programs - see screen shot below). Played around with it for a while, eventually I set all defaults for .eml and MAILTO to Outlook, saved changes, selected a picture and tried 'send to' and confirmed Outlook was opening. I then went back in and reset to .eml and MAILTO back 'Thunderbird' and presto - it worked. How long it will stay this way I don't know.

upload_2017-6-25_22-23-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-25_22-21-34.png
    upload_2017-6-25_22-21-34.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,430
Reaction score
@Ausy Paul,

You're misunderstanding the problem here, the clue is in the 'title'. This post refers to an issue with Windows 10 'Mail' app, not Outlook or any other mail client. Whilst your post might have solved your own particular issue it will not solve the issue addressed here, i.e. the 'Mail' app.

Reaction score
Yes MKSlinky you are correct. I didn't read it carefully, sorry about that.
BTW I did try getting Mail to work as the default but no luck with any of the suggestions - including mine!

Reaction score
@Ausy Paul,

No problems ;) It's easily done. Your post might not have solved THIS issue but I'm sure people will find it useful if they want to associate another email client as their default.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with not being able to send files through right click using the Mail client. Ugh. And now I have messed something else up! I thought I would try changing the default program for MAPIMAIL with Mail and it might work. Guess I should have googled that one first! Now I have NO option when I right click to email anything. How do I get that back to "Unknown"???
Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
I've had similar, but opposite problem: I've tried change default mail app from MS Outlook to Thunderbird and eventually I did it :) I had similar problems like you @tlynne also. If you want change back assotiation to "unknown" you should edit registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.MAPIMail

The only data I left was
regedit_2017-12-01_23-22-15.png

(your data can containn different CLSID)
I deleted all from inside OpenWithList key, and deleted the third key below OpenWithProgids at all.
After this "Send To Mail Clinet" return to original state.

The main my problem was remain: when I tried send document from several apps (OO Draw, PDF X-Change Viewer, etc.) always MS Outlook Profile window was shown, no matter what I set as default mail app in the Windows settings as Mail client or assotiate with protocol :mailto. The solution was change in another registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\Mail

When I changed default value from "Microsoft Outlook" to "Mozilla Thunderbird" everything works perfectly now! :)
regedit_2017-12-01_23-31-47.png

I wondered if it is enough, because in another key (checked by apps) I wasn't found Mozilla Thunderbird as known value, but it looks like it was not necessary to define it in this place.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\MSMapiApps

regedit_2017-12-01_23-52-31.png

That all folks :)

Reaction score
I'm missing the "Mail Recipient" shortcut in my "SendTo". How do I get it back?
I use Outlook for work and Thunderbird for personal mail. I can send a file via TBird by right clicking on the file and selecting TBird from the "Open With" menu. Outlook is not listed on the "Open With" menu, neither is it available by going to "Choose Annother App". Any help will be greatly appreciated - Thanks!
My "SendTo" folder:
upload_2018-7-13_14-48-41.png

Reaction score
In the SendTo folder, create a 4-byte text file containing only the word Mail (without a trailing carriage return to a second line), then rename it (best done from command line) as "Mail Recipient.MAPIMail". That should do it.

Jacques.

Ask a Question