Sending files without using Outlook

Reaction score
Having just got a new PC with Windows 10, which I've never used before, I want to send files by email without using Outlook, which I don't have and don't want. I have set the preinstalled Windows Mail app (on which I have created my several web mail accounts, all functioning properly) as default mail client, but however I try and send a file, Outlook muscles in and of course won't work because I don't have it. I've tried Share as an option rather than Send To, but no dice. I'm sure this has been dealt with before but I can't find exactly this issue in existing posts. Can it really not be done from Mail? Thanks very much for any help, and patience with a newbie!

Reaction score
I usually create a new E-Mail using Online/Webmail or maybe Reply to a message then Attach the file I want to send. I don't use the right-click of a file and Send to, Mail recipient, as you have noted that normally brings up a default program. The only restriction I've hit is with the file size, most ISPs and E-Mail providers have limits. A new PC implies it may have some version of Microsoft Office available, Click-to-Run or a Trial copy.

Reaction score
Having just got a new PC with Windows 10, which I've never used before, I want to send files by email without using Outlook, which I don't have and don't want. I have set the preinstalled Windows Mail app (on which I have created my several web mail accounts, all functioning properly) as default mail client, but however I try and send a file, Outlook muscles in and of course won't work because I don't have it. I've tried Share as an option rather than Send To, but no dice. I'm sure this has been dealt with before but I can't find exactly this issue in existing posts. Can it really not be done from Mail? Thanks very much for any help, and patience with a newbie!

I have Outlook installed as my default mail program, but I'm still able to send files with the Windows Mail app too. There are 2 ways to do this:

1. Start a new message in Mail and click "Insert" at the top of the window (between "Format" & "Options"). From there, click on "Files" and add the file you want to attach.

2. If you right click on the desired file from a File Explorer window, DON'T click "Sent to...", Mail recipient". Instead, click "Share" and then select Mail from the list of icons that pop up.

If neither of these methods work, please report back.

Reaction score
I would suggest that somewhere on you computer, you have MS Office installed. This is the program which contains Outlook.
You need to change the default.
Open the Settings -Apps. - Default apps.
Click the Email App, which is probably saying Outlook. Select "mail" and close. Reboot the computer, or log off and on.

Reaction score
I have Outlook installed as my default mail program, but I'm still able to send files with the Windows Mail app too. There are 2 ways to do this:

1. Start a new message in Mail and click "Insert" at the top of the window (between "Format" & "Options"). From there, click on "Files" and add the file you want to attach.

2. If you right click on the desired file from a File Explorer window, DON'T click "Sent to...", Mail recipient". Instead, click "Share" and then select Mail from the list of icons that pop up.

If neither of these methods work, please report back.

Thanks for your input. Yes I can send as an attachment from within Mail but that's a faff when for instance scanning docs; I can't send any other way without Outlook trying to take over (probably because I have a basic Office suite, i.e. without Outlook) installed. 'Share with' brings up Stop sharing/Create or join a home group/Specific people..., none of which will let me send via email. Thanks again though

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I hate the windows mail app. Get yourself a real email client (downloadable software) and use that or use a web mail service like Gmail or Outlook.com.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. Yes I can send as an attachment from within Mail but that's a faff when for instance scanning docs; I can't send any other way without Outlook trying to take over (probably because I have a basic Office suite, i.e. without Outlook) installed. 'Share with' brings up Stop sharing/Create or join a home group/Specific people..., none of which will let me send via email. Thanks again though

It sounds like you're trying to use "Give access to" instead of share. See the attached picture. This is what it looks like on my computer.
Share.jpg

Reaction score
Did you have a look in the default section as suggested? Which edition of Office do you have? Not sure what a "basic" installation is. With most of the recent ones, Outlook is placed in the program files automatically.

Ask a Question