Serious Issue with Windows 10 to Windows 7 Downgrade

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there even is a solution to this, short of wiping out my C: drive and starting over from scratch, but I figured I'd give it a shot here, first.

I upgraded my Windows 7 (Home Premium edition) laptop to Windows 10 about a week or two ago. It had been running fine until this weekend, when I accidentally hard-rebooted it during a Windows Update (I had shut the laptop to standby to take it from one house to another; I tried restarting and it didn't appear to be doing anything; I hard rebooted it, and only later realized that what happened was that, when I put it on standby, Windows 10 decided to do a full shutdown and update instead; there was nothing on the screen indicating that it was in the middle of an update at the time, however). After that, my Start Menu, Windows Edge browser, App Store, Cortana, and most of the other Windows 10 features were not working. I tried various things (removing and reinstalling the bad update, for example), but none of it worked.

I figured I'd try downgrading to Windows 7 and upgrading back up to Windows 10, and see if that restored functionality. I got halfway there.

I needed to log back into Windows 7. Problem: Whenever the login screen comes on, my keyboard and mouse freeze. I can't login to my computer to do anything. I tried using external keyboards and mouses, but it still doesn't work. The cursor on the login screen blinks, and the mouse pointer is THERE, but nothing I type is inputted and the cursor doesn't move.

Things I've tried:
Safe Booting. Still, the mouse and keyboard stop working at the login screen.
Kaspersky System Restore. This was the Restore Point I made immediately before the upgrade to Windows 10. Or I thought I did; apparently, the thumb drive I saved this restore point to is blank (I checked on another computer). Dunno what happened, there.
The laptop came with Samsung's Recovery Solution (version 4). This allows for a "Basic Restore" or a "Restore From Backup." (Incidentally, the mouse and the keyboard both work when using Samsung's restore tool, but they still become disabled when reaching the login screen) "Basic Restore" is supposed to rebuild the originally installed operating system, but not touch any other files; I tried this, but I get nothing. "Restore from Backup" is supposed to wipe your C: drive entirely and restore things to the last backup; since I'd been using different back-up software, the only restore point they have is the factory default settings. I'd like to try and avoid this, if possible.

Anyone got any ideas for anything I should try prior to wiping out my C: drive? Failing that, has anyone got any suggestions for a way to TEMPORARILY access the C: drive so I can copy over some data files (files representing almost a week's worth of work; data is updated weekly, and I was on day six following the last back-up)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
has anyone got any suggestions for a way to TEMPORARILY access the C: drive
Linux Distro Live CD
Either Mint MATE from here (my personal favorite) http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=191
OR
Ubuntu from here (some windows users find it a bit more difficult to understand or use) still a good option http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop pick a flavor (32 bit if you're not sure)

Just download the ISO, burn it to a DVD using ImgBurn and boot your PC from the DVD.
Only use the live environment to copy off your files to external media. Do not click the install Linux ICON that is likely on the Desktop,

Reaction score
Same problem here.
I've tried to format the drive thru GParted (on Linux), create a new partition. Nothing worked...

Reaction score
Not sure if this will be helpfull for too many people, but I did manage to get the usb devices working again. As soon as I started my pc, I pressed F8 to open the boot menu. Then selected enter setup, went into the advanced mode/options, and found that the usb support under boot was set to partial, changed it to full, and that fixed it.

Ask a Question