I need serious help

Reaction score
OK so I borrowed my exes computer so i could run some random maintenance on it because, like any other single male he had it ran over by viruses. As I am taking off all the apps he downloaded onto it, mainly the PC Cleaner along with a few driver update apps, the whole system went south. First I lost my internet connection, Then, just as I noticed the entire internet adapter had disappeared from the task bar, the damn thing shut down on me.

When I restarted it, it went to the login screen with no problem but it wont sign in. It accepts the password but then tells me there was a problem and windows needs to shut down . The only way to keep it running has been to start it in safe mode. Once I finally got into the computer to see what was going on. I discovered that many of the services have been stopped. The system restore was turned off and is no longer available through windows. The file system is corrupt, and the Windows Management Instrumentation was messed up. Unfortunately, the event viewer is also in a non working state. I get a message saying that the MMC has detected an error in the snap-in and needs to unload it.

I have tried to reset it. I have tried to refresh it. I have ran sfc /scannow just about every way imaginable, including the DISM. The sfc and dism did help get some of the services up again but not enough for me to do anything substantial. I have windows 10 on a flash drive. I was thinking of just reloading windows completely but I don't want to start reloading to find out that the underlying problems are going to get in the way. I also have the option to revert back to the original operating system (Windows 7) but will that fix the network adapter malfunction? I don't know.

Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
With that number of problems, I'd backup your data and then to a fresh install - it sounds like there are a number of issues and it may be better to just have a clean start. With enough work it may be fixable, but you've already tried a lot of sensible steps and it sounds like the system has been compromised one way or another.

As you can access safe mode, backup your data in there and then use that USB drive with Windows 10 to do a fresh install. I'd go as far as formatting C: within the installation process, so that you are sure you are getting a clean install (rather than retaining Windows.old and other old files).

Ask a Question