Setup to receive Insider builds but Windows Update reports "Your device is up to date"

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm running Windows 10 Professional x64 build 10240 on my Lenovo X220 laptop. I've subscribed to receive Insider builds on the fast ring, but every time I check for updates I am told "Your device is up to date", and no available updates are shown.

Previously it was working fine; I was receiving regular definition updates for Windows Defender and a number of updates for Windows 10 x64-based systems. Then, a few weeks ago I was offered "th2_professional_10525" (at least, I think that was the name), but this update appeared to fail, and on rebooting the laptop I got the message "Something went wrong..." at the logon screen.

I believe build 10565 is now available on the fast and slow ring. I've changed to the slow ring but still get the "Your device is up to date" message when I check for updates.

How can I get Windows Update to recognise that a later build is available?

Many thanks!

/Neil

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Can I use the 10565 ISO to upgrade, or only to (re)install? I don't really want to lose everything I've already setup.

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Can I use the 10565 ISO to upgrade, or only to (re)install? I don't really want to lose everything I've already setup.

Download the build 10565 ISO from the blogs windows link I provided.
Save it to a folder.
Right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation should begin.
It will allow you to keep your files, settings and apps ( most of the apps, that is.)
I don't think this will happen, but if you are asked to enter product key, click the Skip option or the "I don't have a product key " option and click Continue.
Activation is supposed to be automatic if your Win 10 Pro is activated.

Ask a Question