SOLVED If I do setup for 17134.1 on my 1709 will it update like normal

Reaction score
I image (macrium) before I do anything.
232GB SSD Sammy EVO
Dual boot 7 and 10
1607, updated to 1709 via setup and thumbdrive.
If I do the same thing to 1709 with 17134.1 iso will it act normal and take updates as they come out?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Currently 17134.1 is the latest available Insider Preview, so.....
As far as I know there has been no official offering of this build in an ISO format, so.....
What would be your source for the ISO.

My bet would be that it probably would not update properly if you chose to install it as an upgrade to 1709 or a custom clean install.
My advice would be to wait until the RTM is officially announced and the ISO becomes available through Microsoft.

OF course if you're sure of your Macrium image....
Recovering to an SSD should be mere minutes, so....
It might be worth rolling the dice.

Reaction score
You've Upgraded Version 1607 to Version 1709, Build 16299.371 is the latest Build for RTM/Released Version 1709. Build 17134.1 is the latest Build for the Insider Preview [Test/Beta] Version 1803.

As was warned back in 2014 with the first Technical Preview, don't put a Beta version on the only machine one has or needs for productive use, may be bugs/flaws in it.

Reaction score
First, thanks to all for looking in.
I did it and according to About I am Win 10 Pro, 1803, 4-18-18, 17134.1 .
Yes, of course, never trust a beta, which this IS, until it's been in use for 3 months or so... :)
But I dual boot so I can use win7 if I'm desperate, or restore system and win10 partitions if this really bites. From what I read, though, no problems (ha,ha...yeah, right!)
Yes, I tried being an insider on fast and found that it didn't offer me the iso, it just tried to update my system. Very slow. So restored back and ignored the insider route and grabbed a couple isos - one was from ru, and one was off Demonoid. I decided I trusted the Demonoid far more so put it on - about 20 min or so. Heard your responses on my phone so thought I'd stop to answer, though I have a "Welcome to the April Update" window open so I should probably go read that...
I see this as no better or worse than the 1803 that was to be released (in terms of taking updates)(though this has fixes) and as an update it should function as well, but didn't know if it would take updates. Apparently it does for WD, but time will tell. I think after the last booboo, MS will be overly careful about calling anything a real RTM, even if it is, effectively , so. But then, in something so massive, I am always amazed that it "works". Two years ago I hated win10. Now it's enough like win7 that I have no problem with it. I've only been on it for maybe 3 weeks.

EDIT: no problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, of course, never trust a beta, which this IS, until it's been in use for 3 months or so
Don't put all your trust in that, it's not written in stone that I've ever seen. With the monthly or quicker updates it may prove itself to be inaccurate.

Reaction score
Don't put all your trust in that, it's not written in stone that I've ever seen. With the monthly or quicker updates it may prove itself to be inaccurate.

That's funny... I put my trust more in offsite backups, LOL

However, that is, I consider, good advice for noobs on win7 considering a change to win10, or noobs on win10 as to when to upgrade. It will be interesting to see when MS considers it safe for community (untracked) or whatever it is. However, I have learned not to trust win10 on updates after upgrades, but that is another long story :)

I used to think I would be on win7 until about 2025. However the increase of ransomware and the like has changed what I do, and the advice I give to non-technical folks. (I cut my teeth on an IBM 7070)

Be well! and have fun!!! I'm marking this solved since no one is saying it won't update. time will tell!!!

/Lenovo V570, dual boot Win7 Pro, Win10 Pro, BIOS/MBR, Sammy SSD EVO 250GB

Last edited:
Reaction score
Announced End of Life for Win7 is less than 2 years away. I have a computer that can still run Win7 but changed out the hard drive, stored the old one, then got the free Upgrade to Win10.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

LOL
Yes, of course I am well aware that win7(48%)(Apr '17) will stop getting updates in 2020. That does not mean it will stop working. There are still many folks on XP(7%)(Apr '17)(though I don't advise it). My MS past is 3.1 3.11, 95, 98, 7, ME(joke), Vista(more of a joke), etc. 7 was a keeper for a long time.
I took 8.0 and 8.1 when they were out. Big mess.
I took the free win10 upgrade. Huge mess. Pathetic.
I tried Linux for a while.
I went back to win7 until about 3 weeks ago when I bought a retail license (about $15 as I recall) and put 1607, then 1709 on as a dual boot for safety. Not bad at all - looks a lot like win7 - stock AV and WD, plus CyberReason RansomFree. Fast and trouble free, but I'm a bit of a techie. I use Chrome and Thunderbird (Mail for outlook).

/Lenovo V570, dual boot Win7 Pro, Win10 Pro, BIOS/MBR, Sammy SSD EVO 250GB

Reaction score
I have done pretty much as you, Kris, but on another machines. I keep my primary )laptop running through the normal update/upgrade processes
fwiw, it is quite possible to create an iso from the new UUP method that MS use to upgrade. That is, in fact how I made one. I am running the 17134.1 daily and it is working 100%
The above comments are however, perfectly valid. You are wise to keep an image in reserve. Better still if you can progress the image as time goes along, to ensure you have an immediate, and up to date, return path when things go wrong

Reaction score
I have done pretty much as you, Kris, but on another machines. I keep my primary )laptop running through the normal update/upgrade processes
fwiw, it is quite possible to create an iso from the new UUP method that MS use to upgrade. That is, in fact how I made one. I am running the 17134.1 daily and it is working 100%
The above comments are however, perfectly valid. You are wise to keep an image in reserve. Better still if you can progress the image as time goes along, to ensure you have an immediate, and up to date, return path when things go wrong

Reaction score
Kris, No Windows NT (3.5 and 4) between W98 and W7? You missed fun times! I missed ME, Vista and 8, used all the rest from 3.0 onwards. My 2nd hand laptop came with 8. I upgraded to 8.1 that afternoon and an early W10 Insider in the evening.

Reaction score

Yep, and that I have not done. I tried to do that a bit on Linux but didn't succeed. Terminally. I am only a half a day out at present. If I hear of an update to 1709 I will have to decide at that point whether to revert and take it. I suspect there are a lot of folks currently running 17134.1 at least as a test bed which is good because if there are problems we should hear soon. At least one hopes! :) But in the meantime it is just a toy, but one that works, at least for the moment!!!

I suspect MS is listening to us VERY closely...

Reaction score
Kris, No Windows NT (3.5 and 4) between W98 and W7? You missed fun times! I missed ME, Vista and 8, used all the rest from 3.0 onwards. My 2nd hand laptop came with 8. I upgraded to 8.1 that afternoon and an early W10 Insider in the evening.

LOL, nope, I successfully avoided that. I was working a tad with MS dev for win98 and realized I should step back and wait for a bit - they were tripping over themselves but doing great work.

Trust me you didn't miss anything with ME, Vista, and 8. And early 10 afaiac. :) They were fun exercises in something to do while nothing important is happening. :)

Reaction score
I never had WinNT 3.51 but did run WinNT 4.0 and later WinNT 2000 in a shop with Win98/98SE at home. WinNT 2000 was good for business networks, Win98SE added ICS/Internet Connection Sharing and support for USB 2 drivers. Never had a WinME but those I had to work on weren't too bad on OEM computers, not so much on Custom computers.

Reaction score
I never had WinNT 3.51 but did run WinNT 4.0 and later WinNT 2000 in a shop with Win98/98SE at home. WinNT 2000 was good for business networks, Win98SE added ICS/Internet Connection Sharing and support for USB 2 drivers. Never had a WinME but those I had to work on weren't too bad on OEM computers, not so much on Custom computers.
Gee, I would think it would be the other way around - I always had trouble with OEM computers so I built my own... drivers was the problem for me...

Reaction score
Windows Defender AV KB2267602 installed twice - 2 different definitions. Nothing is waiting. All seems well.

Reaction score
Start button, shutdown: after maybe 10 min got message:
Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart (collected some information and restarted fine. subsequent shutdown fine.
On that last boot only thing I can think of is I turned on restore points for C partition.
I notice that Chrome logged everybody out, and tab appearance (54 tabs) now shows site icon.
On closer exam I notice that after closing chrome it seems to remain busy for 48?sec.
MsMpEng.exe (a core of Windows defender) remains busy.

Apparently I just took an update to Chrome - 66.0.3359.117 -
Yeah - per monitor it takes fully 55 sec before it stops using cpu % . BAH.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I wonder now if I can update the new 1803 (Apr 30) iso on to 17134.1 ? I have only seen WD updates go onto it. I think I saw another update go onto 1709 that hasn't gone onto 1803-17134.1 .

Reaction score
There seem to be a lot of folks having problems with the latest Public CUs for 1709. I do not know why but I am seeing it all over.

Trouble says he has a new CU for 1803 but I haven't seen it. Maybe he was "Targeted" by Microsoft for some reason.

There is a thread on the Microsoft community were they say the 1803 (17134.1) .ESD file is available.

Reaction score
It's important to know that Version 1709 Build 16299.402 is the latest for the RTM/Released version and Version 1803 Build 17134.1 is the latest IP/Insider Preview [test/BETA]. There is a Skip Ahead version of IP.

Ask a Question