Sysprep Setup Failure

Reaction score
Hi All

I have build a Windows 10 Enterprise machine, initially i have some issues with syspreping the computer but overcame them,
the computer syspreped ok but on first reboot it just loops with the error "windows could not finish configuring the system, restart"
i have tried the usual, OOBE/MSOOBE, and MMC reset the admin etc but no joy, Updates are disabled .

i have tried most things i have seen but to no avail, does anyone have any ideas

regards
Takamatsu

Reaction score
I have not used Sysprep for some years, but I recall there were problems if you reused the existing Sid details. But, As I understand it currently, Another ne factor is that it will not work successfully with upgraded Windows 10 machines.
Since its first innovation, there have been many better and more reliable ways to "image" an installation.

Reaction score
Have or could you try:
At the error message screen press SHIFT + F10.
change directory to C:\Windows\system32\OOBE.
Type msoobe.
It should now continue with the setup of Windows.

This may likely work:

1) Open up Registry Editor. (Start > Run > regedit)

2) Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup\Status\Sysprep Status.

3) Change the value of Cleanup State to 2. (0x00000002)

4) Change the value of Generalization State to 7. (0x00000007)

5) Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform.

6) Change the value of SkipRearm to 1. (0x00000001)

7) Open an administrative command prompt. (Start > Run > cmd... right click on the cmd icon and go to Run as Administrator)

8) Type msdtc -uninstall and push enter. Wait a minute and reboot.

9) Type msdtc -install and push enter. Wait a minute and reboot.

10) Browse to c:\windows\system32\sysprep. Delete the panther folder.

11) Run sysprep. It should now complete, and you can capture the image.

This will have to be done every time you capture the image, but it still is less time consuming than starting over from scratch.

If the administrator account is disabled reboot into safe mode and create a user account with admin permissions and then reboot again if needed in order to continue.

Reaction score
Interesting post, but as said, I don't bother with it anymore.
The OP posted a while ago, so I guess he either got a solution or gave up!

Ask a Question