SHIFT key will not bypass autologon

Reaction score
In Windows 7 I could bypass a configured autologon by pressing the shift-key when I loged off the user. In Windows 10 it seems this is no longer working. It only works some times if I press the left and right shift-key alternating very fast :)

Has anybody a solution for this problem?

greetings

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Peter,

Before I post a possible solution I just wanted to make sure I am reading your request correctly. If I understand your request this is the situation:
  • You have more than one User account on the computer
  • You log off as a Specific User
  • You wish to prevent automatically being logged in as that Specific User, (i.e. you wish to be forced to sign in again and thus see a list of users to choose from)

Is this what you are wanting to address?

If yes, could you also confirm which version of Windows 10 you are using please. Home, Pro, etcetera.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

thank you for replying to my message!

I have a domain joined computer. In the registry there is the ForceAutoLogon-key set to 1

There are 15 users. Only 4 users have an account to log in. The other users should be loged in with an useraccount I defined and they should not know the defined password.

If I log out the "standarduser" pressing and holding the SHIFT key, the computer should show the login-mask where one of the other users can type in their username and password. If this users log off, the "standarduser" schould be loged in automaticaly.

Holding down the SHIFT-key should bypass the autlologon like this worked in Windows XP and Windows 7. But it only works when pressing the left and right SHIFT-key alternating very fast.

I hope, this describes my problem :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Peter,

The way I'd go about this is the following:
  • Press Winkey + R
  • Type regedit | press Enter
  • In the left pane expand the Hive keys to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>SOFTWARE
>Microsoft
>Windows
>CurrentVersion
>Authentication
>LogonUI
>UserSwitch​
  • Click on UserSwitch
  • In right pane locate and right click on "Enabled" | select Modify | In the Value Data box replace the 0 with a 1
  • Press F5

You now need to change the permissions settings for the Hive Key UserSwitch. This will prevent this key inheriting the value 0 on every restart of computer or during a log off/log on of a User.

To change settings do the following:
  • In the left pane, right click "UserSwitch" | select Permissions
  • Click on Advanced button | click on Disable inheritance button
  • You ought to now see two choices. Click on the first choice: Convert inherited permissions into explicit ones for this object
  • Next back in the Dialog window that opened when you chose Permissions take a look at the top of the window. At the moment the owner is System. Click Change | select Group Administrator
  • Select the Group Administrators entry: > Allow > Full Control
  • Next double click SYSTEM | select type: Deny | on Show advanced permissions Clear all | then checkmark Set Value
  • Finally Apply and OK your changes then exit Registry Editor and Restart computer

Now you mentioned a ForceAutoLogon key. If the above method is no good for you, you may still be able to apply the setting of permissions to your ForceAutoLogon key as it too may be inheriting a 0 value during startup.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
We are upgrading all our classroom computers fro Windows 7 to Windows 10 this summer and in testing I'm finding that the hotfix that I solved this problem with in Windows 7 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-edition,-windows-7-or-windows-server-2008-r2). I talked to a support guy and it seemed over his head. But he said there was not a hotfix for this problem. Your fix seems like it MIGHT work, but I have to do this for 100 computers and I need a much more automated way of doing this. How about a new hotfix so we can use Windows 10 the way we want. Don't make Windows 10 like a MAC, please

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the Forum.

The members here do not work for Microsoft, but rather, are Windows 10 users who share ideas and tips as they come to grips with the new operating system. Many members here take part in the Windows Insider Program and report to Microsoft any issues they come across and/or solutions to those issues if discovered.

If you give the above solution a go and find it works for you, then you can take advantage of the built-in app Contact Support by pressing your Windows key and S key together then typing Contact Support and pressing Enter key.

When the app opens you can send a message through to Microsoft with the solution, explain how it benefits you and ask them to provide a tool (aka hot fix) for automated repair. The more who request this, the sooner they will get around to doing this.

If you have any other methods to resolve your issue feel free to post to the Forum to let the members know.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
We FINALLY found the answer! Go to START, click on the little man (top Icon), hold shift and click LOCK. You might need to hold shift until it logs off. It doesn't make sense but it works

Reaction score
The only way to logout on our enterprise clinical lock down machines is to CTRL+ALT+DEL and "Sign-off", I am pretty sure Window's Key + L doesn't work either. There is no user icon on the start menu for these devices. I have resorted to just going back to my desk and connecting via RDP when I need another user account. It is easier than doing the shift key mashup.

Ask a Question