Simple Question

Reaction score
Can you install Windows 10 WITHOUT having to reinstall all my other software and settings - I AM NOT talking about apps - I am talking about third party software like SPSS, ADOBE, BitTorrrent etc etc- I got 6 laptops and it takes days on each to get everything as it needs to be - and if this version W10 does not install without requiring I re-install everythin gelse- then these computers are NEVER seeing Windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First I would not consider ever installing "this version of W10" on anything that I even remotely considered important..... It's a preview and is not intended for such deployment.
Second, you don't say what your "6 laptops" are currently running for an OS(s), but from what I understand, for computers running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 an upgrade will be available, which should allow you to do what you want with little problem.
Third, the apps that you are talking about would need to be reasonably recent and capable of running on Windows 10, which might, IDK..... require a version update perhaps but I wouldn't think anything more drastic than that.

Reaction score
I am talking about the official release of Windows 10 - when ever that is ..I an running various versions of 7 and 8 - and since every new version of windows to date has required I re-install all my relevant software - I want to know if this version is different - I could care less if they want to give it away for free - it aint getting installed on anything I have if it will require me to re-install my other software .. I am hoping someone here has the definitive answer to this ? .

Reaction score
I had build 10046 on this machine and with help from the denizens on this forum I made a ISO file of build 10061. When I started the install I was given the option to keep all my apps and settings or wipe everything clean. I'm thinking that with the official release in a couple months the same option will be available. You could always start the install on one of the laptops and if the option doesn't appear you can abort the install since nothing should have happened up to that point.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
AND.....
If I were going to do anything as critical as a full OS Upgrade, I'd probably create a full system image in advance, just to have a comfortable fall back position.

Reaction score
I am not talking about apps and settings - I am asking about software .. and its a simple question - Will I need to re-install the software .. I have backups, images and clones up my whazoo - in thinking about whether windows 10 is something Id even REMOTELY consider upgrading to - I just want to know if it will force me to re-install software? Id just like a definitive answer to this.

Reaction score
It didn't bother or muck up any of my software such as Firefox, NOD32 antivirus, Corel Paint Shop Pro, etc. They all survived intact and are functional. It's possible though that if you have a program that is incompatible with Windows 10 there could be a problem. Maybe you should sacrifice one of the laptops to research and load up the technical preview. It would be a round about way but you could pick up an empty hard drive somewhere and clone the laptop drive to it so you would have a complete, functional backup if Windows 10 should, for some reason fubar the drive you're upgrading. I don't use a laptop so I'm just taking a shot in the dark here. One thing I did notice yesterday was that running build 10074 as an update didn't offer me the options. It just updated and kept everything intact. When I used an ISO to update though it asked if I wanted to keep everything. I guess the ISO was viewed as setting up a new operating system vs just an upgrade. At any rate, I don't think installing Windows 10 will wipe out any of your installed software unless there is a compatibility issue.

Reaction score
that's an idea - I just migrated one unit to a tb SSD - still have the old HD - could always go back to it .

Ask a Question