SOLVED Skype Desktop Program (NOT MS Store APP) Issue

Reaction score
Greetings all ~

I've been having a rather annoying issue with the Skype DESKTOP Program .. I believe it happened with one of the updates to skype PROGRAM... NOT the Windows 10 App.

** Full disclosure**
I did post this originally to the MS Support forum.. but the same problem exists. I have seen others post similar problems .. with no other alternative but to use the Windows Store App.
**End Disclosure**

Upon finishing a Video chat with ANY of my contacts, either singly or in a group capacity, and logging off of Skype AND closing the program completely (Right click on System tray icon and choosing Quit) my Web cam light stays illuminated, and will remain illuminated until the procedure/workaround mentioned below is done OR I power down or restart my computer.

Workaround that I have done: The ONLY way that i have found to alleviate this issue (apart from powering down or restarting my computer, which is rather inconvenient especially if i have to do it after EACH video chat) is the following procedure:

( ---> = mouse click in below procedure)

(Usually done while still logged in but sometimes I forget to do it and have to log back into Skype again to complete this procedure)

---> Tools at top of Contacts window ---> Options--->Video Settings ---> Save ... Webcam light goes out and stays out till next video call and then the procedure has to be followed again upon completion of each and every video call .

I know it has been recommended to use the App rather than the Program itself.. I have TRIED to use the App .. while it HAS alleviated webcam issue the issue .. I dont personally care for the interface or lack of functionality that the program itself has . and dont particularly care to go that route.

OS: windows 10 64-bit (Desktop computer) Fully up to date.

Skype Version: 7.40.0.151

Webcam : Logitech HD 720 HD C270 (with fully updated software from Logitech)

I can supply other troubleshooting aspects I have done at advice of MS Support I have done in the process if need be. Altho what they have suggested for me to do DID NOT solve the issue.

Thank you in advance for any help with this issue.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Wolfie~

Your LInk shows me this ..
upload_2018-3-28_0-13-28.png

I DON'T want the App from the Store .. which is what it seems like this would be giving me ..

Am I missing something here .. ????

Yes I uninstalled the APP and still have the Desktop Program..

I Should note also .. from talking to many others.. this is a recurring problem this seems to be a problem that exists on both the Desktop Program as well as on the App . ..

Reaction score
Wolfie~

That link takes me to the MS Store .. to download the MS Store APP ... not the Desktop Client ..

I have tried the APP .. and i just dont like the functionality ( or lack thereof) of the APP versus the Desktop program..

Reaction score
Hello~

@Bassfisher... thanks for the heads up on the button/tab aspect from the first link that Wolfie posted .. i didn't notice that dropdown when I first visited the site .. my bad .. I kind of assumed that after following that link and it taking me to the MS Store site that i was getting the APP and not the "classic" Desktop Client.

That actually gave me a more updated version of Skype ..I'm now at Version 7.14.0.101

I'll try it out later today when I speak to a couple of people on my contacts list and see if that helped ..

I'll DEFINATELY update this thread as things go along ..

Thank you again.
~LoneWolf

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I have version 7.40.0.151

Now there's an update and new version is; 7.41.0.101

Maybe yours is a typo....lol ..... 14 maybe is 41.

Reaction score
Update~

Well even after installing the newest version ..I was in video chat with a friend of mine .. and the same thing happened with webcam light staying on even after ending the video call...

As I mentioned in my OP I had posted this to the MS community .. and they had said something about the webcam shield of avast being 'stuck' in the driver stack by looking at my Direct X Diagnostic report ... however even with CLEANLY (I would assume) uninstalling Avast both via add remove programs AND using the utility provided by avast the same thing was happening .. so that didn't help any :( .. AND uninstalling and reinstalling the webcam software package direct from Logitech

The only thing I have NOT done is a full reinstallation of Windows .. but I dont see why I would have or need to do that just for a blasted webcam .. granted this is an older ISH webcam only cost me about 40 bucks when I purchased it some years ago.. but as far as performance it does the job for what i use it for . I'll go direct to Logitech and see what they say ..

I'll keep you guys updated as things progress here .. unless anyone else has any other advice on this .. again this does seem a Skype specific issue.. I have also heard from other friends of mine that they have had .. and still continue to have the same problem although not as frequent as I do and they have a completely different webcam than I do .. one has a MS webcam .. and another has a integrated webcam on their laptop.. as well as this happening with MS Store Skype app and not the classic desktop program of Skype..

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
What's the make/model of your Logitech webcam?

I have a older Logitech webcam; Qickcam S 5500.....only support for it is with windows XP/Vista/7. It works fine with windows 8/8.1/10. With windows 10 (latest build) it just picks up the webcam and allows it to function (via skype classic). Where as before with window 10 and Anniversary Update, it would install the software once connected.

So it seems to me that MS is phasing out support for older peripherals that once used to work under windows 10. That is; saying that the device manufacturer is not updating drivers for older hardware that may or may not work with windows 10. Analogy: same as with mobo's.....some older mobos will run windows 10 even though it's not supported. Those that have older hardware to function under windows 10 are just lucky

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
After thought; you may want to try and run your software in compatibility mode. Or just use the webcam with out the driver/software package like I'm doing currently. The only time I use the webcam is with skype.

Reaction score
Bassfisher~

The model of webcam i have is the HD720 or also known on the Logitech website as C270...

c270glamour-lgsilver.png
this is the webcam I have

***EDITED TO ADD **
I also only use the webcam for Skype and OCCASIONALLY for other stuff .. and when I say occasionally ,, I mean like once a year ... but a majority of the time it's for skype and that is an almost a daily occurance .. sometimes more than twice a day .. depending on who happens to be online at the time ..
*** End of edit***

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
That's a decent webcam and a contender to a webcam I want to upgrade to.

I think it may be 1 or 2 possibilities; your mobo or windows 10. Do you have the latest BIOS update for your mobo? Check your windows copy for any corrupt/missing system files. What about any malware/adware corruption....have your check for any of that kind of stuff?

Other than that, you might want to consider a clean install....as a last resort.

Reaction score
Bassfisher~

Yeah the webcam works nice .. good fairly clear video little fuzzy at times depending on the lighting i have going and the actual connection between me and the other person I'm in vid chat with . .. . I dont use the microphone aspect of it as I have a Logitech g333 Gaming headset.. which is an interesting story to say the least how I got that one ..

I had bought a Logitech Headset via 3rd party newegg reseller as a certified refirb/open box unit for $39.99 with free shipping ... . it was a G930.. and i was having some problems with it with the wireless dongle and 'cord puck' .. I called Logi ... and they replaced with the upgraded model ... as they were not making/selling the g930 any more ..the G933 currently sells for $129.99 with free shipping with a 36% discount.. NORMALLY it runs $ 199.99 i didn't even have to send the old one back.. I still have it and it DOES work good other than a problem with the 'cord puck' .. if you look up the model G930 you'll see what im talking about with the cord puck..

Regarding the BIOS...
Yes, there are two updated BIOS's available .. they not that much newer than the one I have.. my current one is dated 6/3/2014 with a version # of 2005 and the two most updated ones are dated 06/12/2014 and 07/24/2014 with version numbers of 2005 and 2.00.02 respectively.

Now ..my issue with that is SUPPOSEDLY my Mobo is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE Win 10 compatible .. according to the website AND talking with ASUS Tech but it is in fact working almost totally flawlessly other that this webcam problem and another problem I had posted a while ago regarding the NFC express which came with the MOBO as a package deal.

There IS however a separate model (same model number) of my MOBO listed on the Asus Site that is NON NFC express edition..and that one has BIOS updates of Version # 2103 with a date of 09/12/2014 , Version 2103 with a date of 09/12/2014 and finally Version 2.00.02 with a date of 07/24/2014

So given that, I dont know if updating the BIOS would cause this thing to 'brick' considering the supposed incompatibility with Windows 10..

As far as a Clean install and a file scan .. IF it comes to that ...i'll wait till the newest update to Windows 10 'drops' for download as im not on fast or slow ring preview versions.. that way IF things are corrupt or missing i'll have the newest versions of files should they need to be replaced or repaired with installation media.

Thanks to Bassfisher, Wolfie and Trouble for helping me with this .. I'll keep ya all regularly updated as things progress and if i ultimately solve this problem .. have to wait till after easter to contact the respective companies ..
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Hi LoneWolf,

I'm not sure how attached to Avast AV you are but I would remove it and see if you still have the same problem with the camera staying on!.

I just use Windows Defender on W10 and it works fine for me!. :)

Reaction score
Wolfie~

Actually that was of the many suggestions that an MS Community mod had mentioned that I do was to uninstall Avast.

Due to the face that apparently the "webcam shield' had put something in the driver stack for my webcam. They had seen it in my DXDiag report that I supplied to them.

Now mind you .. the webcam shield is NOT available or even installed in the free version. So why would it even be installed.

However, I DID uninstall Avast. Rebooted the computer and tried the webcam again .. and still had the same results.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Wolfie~

Yep... sorry I didn't mention (my bad) .. I Did do the driver uninstall and reinstall as well and also went the long way around (device manager) . I'm on the newest version that i can find of the drivers and software ..

*** edited to add***

Basically i've ran the 'gamut' of stuff to try to stop this webcam behavior... maybe just kinda time to retire it .. and get a different one .. we shall see what happens when the Spring 2018 Creators Update comes around and a do a file scan ..

Ask a Question