SOLVED Some more woes..

Reaction score
Hello everyone from a newbie (to this forum, not to 'puters & windows!)

I feel sure this has been covered many times before, but I can't help feeling that my case is somehow a little different (please don't ask why I get that feeling). So here we go then:

At first I did the 'free' upgrade from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro. All seemed well for a couple of weeks. Then the PC crashed and locked itself into and endless loop of part booting and resetting. I tried to do repairs using both a USB stick and a DVD - nothing would work. I then tried to re-install (Win 10) "keeping my files and settings etc" but it refused point blank to allow it. In the end I had to re-install clean and loose everything.

So then it (after days spent re-installing loads of stuff) ran OK for a couple of days...... then the start menu stopped working, along with Edge (opened for about 2 seconds then disappeared), the search bar, & the action center. This of course has now rendered the much hyped Windows 10 almost completely useless!

So I started doing the usual searches (Google Chrome is still working!), and tried the many suggestions, some of which completely refused to even run ( Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} ) is a good example. All the others seemed to run ok but achieved nothing; like scannow and restore files etc.

Then I see one that seems to suggest that a new user account would be the magic 'repair'. But alas, Windows 10 wouldn't even allow me to create a new user (either family or 'other'). By the way, I am the ONLY user of this PC and I only have the one user account (Administrator). I found a way around this problem by creating a new user via the good old fashioned command prompt. But still those fancy new apps' refused to work. But I did discover that I could set up a new user account in the 'normal' way from within this newly created account (Right clicking the start menu and opening the control panel method). So this I did, thinking that finally I might be getting somewhere.

WRONG!! It is becoming quite clear to me now that the much talked about Windows 10 is a very long way from being all it was hyped up to be - a little better than useless, really. So what to do next? It's now been too long to roll back to Windows 7 (unless I format the HDD and re-install it -- really don't feel like going through that at the moment). Suppose I COULD TRY re-installing Win 10, AGAIN -- don't feel much like doing that either 'cos I have this horrible feeling that it won't actually fix anything, at least not for long.........

Any very clever people with a magic solution?? I will be forever thankful if someone can come up with one.

Many Thanks for reading, Glenn

Reaction score
No good suggestion from me................
Reinstall Win 7 > set Windows Update to Manual so that it won't get upgraded back to Win 10 > and stay with the one that had worked for you.
The free upgrade offer is good till July 28th 2016 inclusive. Let Microsoft sort things out before you decide to try Win 10 again. Still lots of time.

Reaction score
I completely agreed with DavidHK129. Go back to Win7 and leave this alone. I've discovered a couple of "general" issues that seems to plague Windows 10. One is incompatible drivers , the other is the installer files used when you put all your "goodies" back in. I'm glad this is FREE. I would not want to pay to be a Beta tester, which is what we are.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think you might try a new hard disk drive and see if a clean install of Windows 10 on that behaves any better.
Or at a minimum I would pull the current drive and attach it to another machine and run a full scan with the Windows native Check Disk utility and see if it reports any problems with the existing drive.
From an elevated (administrative command prompt) type
chkdsk C: /R (where C: is the drive containing the problem install which will likely be another drive letter if you have it attached to a different machine)
hit enter and answer Yes “Y” when prompted and reboot. (you'll only receive this prompt if you are performing the check disk in and on the current active install)
Let it run all five stages. When complete check the log file in Event Viewer for results (Click the StartOrb and type event viewer and hit enter, expand Windows Logs and highlight / select Application, click Action on the menu bar and select Find and type chkdsk and hit enter.

The reason I suggest this is because your symptoms might suggest some data corruption and seeing as how you are coming from Windows 7 that would suggest that the drive in question is no longer a spring chicken and might be suffering from a few bad critical sectors.

Reaction score
I came accross this little bit of info on a website (can't remember which!) - followed it and HEY PRESTO! All working now:
Open regedit.exe

Right click on HKEY_Users and select PERMISSIONS

Make sure that "All Application Packages" exists and has Read Permission (select FULL CONTROL)

Repeat for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Check the subkeys HARDWARE, SAM,SOFTWARE,SYSTEM. Make sure that All Application Packages has the Read permission. <<< I CANT SEEM TO FIND THIS ONE.
I had to ADD it to the ROOT one.........

Ask a Question