Something smells fishy

Reaction score
I have an HP notebook came factory installed win 10. A while back a family member was on it and clicked on a free malware scan of the notebook, apparently it ran and all was well. A while later while downloading some updates I lost my entire HDD, wiped clean except for a few Mb sprinkled around the drive. I could not load Win 10 error code 3F0 I believe, "couldn't find the HDD or partition to load windows". I tried everything and worked on it for weeks with no luck installing 10. I finally got an O/S to work when I got into BIOS and enabled boot from legacy device and used an old Win 7 disk I had purchased years ago, it loaded and I had an O/S to start from.

I downloaded the Win 10 ISO directly into the notebook from Microsoft and selected the Save Nothing option, everything will be erased. Win 10 installed and updated all was fine, I installed the HP advisor program and checked for drivers, only needed LAN update. All was good again. Got up this morning and booted up the notebook, and now there is an Icon on the desktop that says its Malware Bytes (which I never downloaded) and the Icon is all white like a ghost, along with that there is now a second windows explorer Icon also on the desktop that wasn't there when I turned it off and why would there be 2 of them anyway. I turned the notebook off and decided to consult with people way smarter than me. Could this be remnants of the malware? Could it have been hiding in the BIOS because everything else was wiped with the clean install? Looking for some guidance here as I suspect this unwanted Malware bytes and explorer icon might be trouble.
Any ideas/thoughts/solutions? TX Buzz

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Could it have been hiding in the BIOS
Sure... while rare, BIOS rootkits are still around.
I finally got an O/S to work when I got into BIOS and enabled boot from legacy device
AND that's how it happens.

Listen to the first couple minutes or so of this video
Actually the whole video is pretty interesting.
and now there is an Icon on the desktop that says its Malware Bytes (which I never downloaded) and the Icon is all white like a ghost,
That's a bit suspicious as Malwarebytes is not two words and the icon is Blue as pictured below.

Capture.PNG

While a typical installation will place an icon on your desktop it is also Blue as is the one that appears in your notification area of the taskbar when the program is running.

Ask a Question